A Bookworm

Scarlet was a bookworm as every day she would go to the public library and read. Scarlet usually finishes a thin novel in a day and a thick one in 3-5 days. There were 800 books Scarlet wanted to read and she already read at least 700 of them! 

Her best friend, Isabel once approached her and gasped: 

"Wow, Scarlet! How many books is this? You are such a fast reader!" 

"Yes I am!" Scarlet smiled. "I read very fast. I read around 700 and something books. I am reading 'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen and  I am liking it very much that I am already halfway through. I started reading it around an hour ago." 

"That's great, Scarlet. You make me really happy when I see you read. I think you are the smartest and the biggest bookworm." Isabel replied looking pleased. 

"I am the best," Scarlet thought. "Since Isabel is saying I am the biggest bookworm and the smartest, I better impress her even more." 

Isabel then saw Alice with a side braid outside the library. 

"Alice," Isabel complimented. "I love your braid! It's one of my favourite hairstyles. Did you do it yourself?" 

"Yes," she replied. "Thank you so much! I am meeting my boyfriend today." 

"Oh Alice," Isabel exclaimed, "You have the best hairstyles." 

Scarlet eavesdropped from the library. She thought, 'why is Isabel complimenting about Alice's hair? What about my hair?'. She put her book down. 'Maybe I will do something different to my hair. At least I got a rubber band.' 

Scarlet then braided her hair like Alice's. 

"Isabel!" Scarlet called and approached her. 

"Yes, Scarlet." Isabel said, "what's up?" 

Scarlet sighed. 

"Is there anything wrong?" Isabel asked, "are you bored with reading?" 

Scarlet shook her head. "It's just I braided my hair and I was wondering if you were going to say anything about it. You said something about Alice's, so what will you say about mine?" 

"You braided your hair." Scarlet nodded, "Good attempt, but it's a little messy. But, why don't you ask Alice to help you? Maybe after when she sees her boyfriend." 

Scarlet gasped, "Isabel! You don't have to be so mean! You just prefer Alice's hair more." 

Down the road, there was an ice cream shop. Isabel really wanted ice cream but she had no money to buy. 

"Isabel," Yasmin spoke, "I have some spare money. I will lend it to you to buy ice cream." 

"Aww thank you so much, Yasmin." Isabel beamed with joy, "you are the best and the kindest person in planet." 

Scarlet sneaked in the ice cream shop and heard the conversation. 'I knew it,' She thought. 'Am I kind? If Yasmin has to be the kindest. What should I do to make Isabel say I am kind?' Scarlet thought for a few seconds, 'perhaps I could buy her a present. She would so appreciate it and say I am the kindest.' 

Scarlet went into a nearby retail shop. There were many beautiful gifts she could choose for Isabel. Scarlet looked at a glamorous, purple necklace. It was Isabel's favourite colour. Scarlet finally bought it and was looking for Isabel. 

"Isabel!" Scarlet shouted from behind. 

"What's up, Scarlet?" Isabel replied instantly. 

"I have a gift for you. I bought it in the retail shop." Scarlet said cheerfully, "I hope you like it." 

She gave the present cautiously to Isabel. 

"Thank you so much, Scarlet!" Isabel exploded, "you don't have to give me this. This necklace is so pretty but I have loads at home." 

Scarlet sighed and looked down. 

"Scarlet, what is wrong with you?" Isabel questioned her friend with concern. "You've been acting strangely all day. This is unlike you to do these for me." 

Scarlet felt horrified. 

"Isabel!" she yelled, "how dare you say that? There is nothing bad that happened!" 

"There must be." Isabel answered. "You look a little annoyed." 

There was a short pause. 

"Isabel," Scarlet began. "You told Alice that she has the best hairstyle and Yasmin that she is the kindest. But, you never told me these things. I tried to have Alice's braid and buy that necklace. I thought we are best friends." 

"Oh Scarlet," Isabel acknowledged, "I can say good vibes about them too. They are my friends. I like the way all of you are. I really like Alice's hair and I really thought it was very kind of Yasmin to lend me some money for ice cream as nobody would do that. 

Scarlet immediately felt surprised, "so you only like me because I am a bookworm." 

"Well, I don't know anyone that reads so many books and finish them within a short period. I only know you do that." Isabel answered. "I like all my friends just the way they are and that applies to you too. You are my best friend."

Scarlet hesitated and reflected on the actions. 

"So, you still my best friend just the way I am." She spoke. 

"Mmhm." Isabel nodded. "No matter what you are, the best way is to just be yourself." 

Scarlet felt happier again that Isabel is her best friend and ended up laughing together. 

Moral: The only way people are liked is when they just be themselves