Chapter 3: Upheaval (V2)

March 2, 1639
Rodenius Continent

It has been five months since the establishment of diplomatic ties between Qua-Toyne and the country of the so-called Alliance of Southeast Asia. Since the event filled with misunderstandings and rapid-paced developments, both parties have been struggling to understand and comprehend the unfolding situation. Nevertheless, one significant outcome has emerged, Qua-Toyne is currently experiencing rapid economic growth and development, a phenomenon that seemed unusual and impossible just a few months ago.

At first, there was a misunderstanding that the Alliance of Southeast Asia would demand extortion or fealty, but no, it was simply a request for a diplomatic channel that, more or less, surprised them. Along with Quira, a neighboring country of Qua-Toyne and their longtime ally, they accepted the request for a diplomatic channel from the Alliance of Southeast Asia. Surprisingly, they found themselves ensnared by the barren lands of Quira, which seemed like a treasure trove according to the people dispatched by the alliance. As for Qua-Toyne, they traded for a rather unusual variety of food that wasn't considered fancy or a priority, nor deemed as a luxury by the farmers of Qua-Toyne. Items such as wheat and the vast groves of Giban trees, which were considered a nuisance, were little known to Qua-Toynians, but they were essential for rubber manufacturing and, therefore, crucial for the Alliance of Southeast Asia, who were among the few dozen well sought-after by this emerging, unknown country.

On the other hand, in exchange for resources and supplies, the Alliance decided to use infrastructure projects as bait for Qua-Toyne—a critical bargaining chip in their exchange between countries. This included the construction of asphalted roads throughout the principal cities, which were superior to the cobblestone roads they had been using, and the implementation of a large-scale transportation and distribution system known as railroads.

Rodenius countries had also requested various technologies, including weaponry. However, this request was temporarily put on hold due to the "Technology Conservation Law," which aimed to minimize the risk of some countries attempting to replicate or weaponize the exported technology.

Thus, the former distant lands of Qua-Toyne and Quira, medieval civilizations, found themselves at the crossroads of history when they encountered the Alliance—a modern nation. The Alliance extended its support, offering an array of conveniences that would forever alter the course of their existence.

Among these blessings was the gift of clean water. Before this encounter, the people had struggled with the challenges of procuring safe drinking water. They often relied on distant, unreliable sources that frequently harbored contaminants. The Alliance introduced a network of pipes and reservoirs that brought pristine water directly to their communities, putting an end to waterborne diseases and ushering in improved public health.

The Alliance shared advanced farming techniques, illuminating pathways to agricultural success. Insights into crop rotation, superior seed varieties (which, in reality, did little to benefit the blessed land of Qua-Toyne), and efficient irrigation systems led to bountiful harvests and facilitated the transportation of goods.

Yet, it was the gift of electricity from solar panels and generators that illuminated the nights and captured the imaginations of the Qua-Toynians most profoundly. No longer did they contend with the flickering inefficiency of candles or the smoky haze of oil lamps, or perhaps the privilege of Mana lamps, which were expensive and reserved for the elite. With a simple flick of a switch, their homes, streets, and markets were bathed in a steady, radiant glow. Darkness was vanquished, and the veil of danger it once cast was lifted.

Concurrently, the transformation extended to sanitation systems. The Alliance shared technical knowledge and resources, enabling the construction of proper sewage and sanitation facilities. The scourge of disease receded, and communities grew cleaner and healthier.