Chapter 98: Rapture

300 kilometers away from Tuareg, an armada of heavily armed Annonrial aerial formation, consisting of Galleria attack aircraft equipped with air-launched munitions and escorting Phantom fighters, streaking in the air in disciplined formation. An odd pair of sleek delta-winged fighters and slim longitudinal attack aircraft flew alongside, heading toward the Muish and Southeast Asian defenders.

In the cockpit of the lead Phantom, coordinating for the combat engagement in Tuareg, known as Phantom Leader, the pilot guided the formation towards their objectives with a strong sense of caution.

He soon addressed the squadron, "Maintain our formation, everyone. We're approaching Tuareg. Keep an eye out for any missile strikes. We'll hit them from a distance, don't fly overhead until we've demolished them. The ballistic strike should flatten them, but still, we need to be cautious."

He spoke as streaking lights above them flew at altitude-ballistic missiles launched by the Annonrial cruisers in an attempt to demolish every single potential holdout and emplacement of hostile defenders. Reports of guided missiles shooting down their aircrafts had hit them hard, thus they became increasingly cautious. This time, a hail of destruction came down like retribution from the gods, descending upon the defenders of Tuareg.

A Galleria pilot chimed in, "Gale 3 to Phantom Leader, what intel do we have on the Tuareg defenses?"

The leader responded, "Reports indicate scattered anti-air units, mostly arrows of light. Nothing we can't handle, and the fleet has softened them up, so mass destruction should become widespread. But stay vigilant."

Then another pilot raised a concern, "Any news on the Muish? I heard they have potential strategic reserves up north, and enemy reinforcements might come."

The leader acknowledged that; the briefing had already been made, but the pilots' anxiety was undeniable due to surprise attacks of MANPADs and the unknown origin of them. All on the Annonrial side presumed some kind of advanced Muish weapon, so everyone was very cautious. "True, G3. They're a formidable bunch. Expect resistance, but nothing beyond our capabilities."

"It's hard to find the targets in that ruined city. Should we randomly attack afterward?"

The leader affirmed, "Correct. Our mission is to clear threats in the AO; anything that remains standing will be demolished." He paused for a moment before continuing as he looked at his instruments, "Let me be clear and have one final review since we already discussed it in the briefing... Neutralize identified major anti-air units first. Then focus on ground threats. Let the Gallerias handle the majority of ground strikes, Phantoms are to clear any aerial threats."

Gale 4 mused, "Let's hope this mission goes smoother than the first attack."

The leader agreed, "Concur, and we need to stay coordinated. Communication is crucial."

As they approached Tuareg, they monotonously observed the scene of the endless sea before their cockpits, "Phantom Leader, we're nearing the combat zone. No aerial contacts detected, the sky above Tuareg is clean."

"Maintain formation and adapt as needed. Target priorities are clear, but be ready for an unexpected situation." As they closed in 70 kilometers away from their targets, the leader soon uttered with a grin, "Eyes on the prize, everyone. Stay sharp, stay focused. Let's complete this mission and return home in one piece. Good luck, everyone."

The burning horizons of Tuareg soon appeared, countless stars falling to the ground as bright explosions of dread and mayhem impacted the earth. Fire, shockwaves, and dust kicked into the sky-a city lay in ruins.

Looking at the badly battered city, the job seemed to become easier and safer. However, in their cockpits, something went off. A high speed flash of light struck one of the leading aircraft, causing it to burn in fiery flames. It shot off in a uncontrollable dive before exploding midair, leaving thick plumes of smoke in the sky as the burning debris fell motionlessly.