Chapter 58: De-escalation

October 16, 1640

After ending the war with Parpaldia, the ASEAN demobilized and recalled 12 divisions from Philades, leaving only 4 divisions for peacekeeping purposes.

Now, they are prioritizing the reconstruction of Parpaldia through a series of bunk shelters that somehow are better than the former Parpaldian houses, with winter coming. The houses built by ASEAN are being fitted with insulation to help them stay warm in the winter months.

The priority for ASEAN right now is providing enough shelter and food for the people during the coming winter. The thing can't be the same for other independent countries, as they are requesting ASEAN build their own bunk houses for their refugees who got their houses destroyed by the scorched earth tactics of Arde, infighting between factions, or pillaging and burning by bandits.

Thus, the ASEAN had their hands full again, not because of a lack of combatants but because of a lack of construction workers and proper roads in Parpaldia that hampered their movements. There are some plans for a railway network, but it's expected to begin two or three years from now to connect all the countries of Philades through the Southern Philades Autonomous Region.

The merchants from the second civilization began flocking to Philades once again, and the devastated small and medium business enterprises from the mainland are working on how to recover by making profits in Philades, as they've been prohibited from partnering with Muish counterparts.

Following the recent incidents and conflicting interests with the Milishials and their unrestricted use of nuclear weapons in Pandora, with almost no opposition after broadcasting the video of the destruction of a Pandoran city and gaining the majority of votes in the Congress but omitting the people's choice. The Treaty of Southeast Asian Nuclear Weapon Free Zone was scrapped, and all the individuals with knowledge and qualifications related to nuclear physics are being recruited into their so-called Project Deterrence, kick-starting Southeast Asian nuclear weapon development.

In addition to lack of firepower of coast guard vessels in an event that they would ended up encountering a Milishial warship, they are been upgunned with large caliber rockets from reproduced old Soviet anti-submarine rocket launcher. The research and development of their own indigenous cheap to produce IR missiles that modelled to sidewinder and K-13. Which would be compatible to all aircrafts, both western and eastern. And development of ground launch systems using the same missile as mobile SHORAD type for low level anti-aircraft interception has been approved, along with a variant that will be mounted on naval vessels like patrolships and transport ships but with high-explosive warhead like anti-tank missiles as they are large enough to be fitted with variety of warheads to adapt on multiple combat environment.

The ASEAN already putting priority in expansion and replacement of old ships of the Navy. They also eyeing for a blue water navy, but ended up only having light helicopter carrier that also acting a drone carriers as they lack any know-how to build carrier-borne aircrafts nor having a ship that has enough dimension to perform carrier operation.

They also began steadily approaching civilizations from far flung regions like Gra Valkas Empire after they decided to officially concluded a peace treaty before the end of their short 6 month ceasefire with Mu in September. This lead to significant decrease of tension and demobilization of both sides, and in process of demilitarizing the borders. The borders also was opened by Gra Valkans and Muish to let the people of Leifor see their families left or stranded in conflict of two giants in the second civilization. Seeing a good light with the willingness of Gra Valkans on resolving the conflict with peace, they send an envoy towards Leifor.

Leiforian District

A Hamilton class cutter has been deployed along with two Navy support ships and one Muish-flagged passenger ship that is carrying the diplomatic team of ASEAN. 60 kilometers away from the fleet, submerged, a Kilo-class submarine armed with cruise missiles has been secretly dispatched for this escort duty. Unlike the rocky, treacherous shores and surrounding sea in western Mu, the ocean in the proximity of Leifor is deep, with the lowest point being 700 meters, and even though the nearing shore is clean, there's at least 50 meters deep in the ports of Leifor, thus making the region here safe for submarines.