Chapter 68: Requiem of Mausoleum

<<Major, all target hit>>

<<Good>>

Like music to Beltane's ears, confirmation of the attack successfully carried out against an enemy communication base. There should be substantial damage with Surendra.

He let out a satisfied smile at the conclusion.

Inside the Beltane's cockpit, however, something is wrong. In the Mana screen linked from Almagest, several small energy signatures streak through the air. It's faint but noticeably raging at abnormal speed.

Unbeknownst to them, the ASEAN missiles sped towards them—the targets—and within seconds, several flashes of light from Annonrial Premier fighters, Phantoms, that had been blown to smithereens, lit up the sky as a dirty fireworks. The explosions could be heard faintly on the ground as monsters and animals looked at the sky. 

"What in the world?! Evasive maneuvers! Almagest, what the hell are you doing? The enemies are attacking!." Beltane howled as he was dumbfounded by what happened. He didn't question what just transpired, as it was clearly an attack, however, in state of surprise, he immediately pinned the blame on the Almagest duo, who failed to detect the attack.

<<Apologies Sir! We can't detect any lockon! Uh?! New attack inbound from the enemies! Still we can't still detect any trace of lockon algorithm! It was as if their arrows of light have their own onboard detection and tracking sensor that we can't read!>>

"Fuck it!."

More explosions in the sky manifested as four blazing and barely intact Phantoms falling and sinking into the cloud, trailing with thick black smoke.

The rest of the planes, seeing the unbelievable sight, banked and dodged again. A few of them dodged the BVR missiles by sheer luck, however, more missiles lounged on them, and this time there was no escape. The missiles had caught up to them, and they exploded in the sky, pulverizing them to pieces. In the first ten seconds of the fight, almost a third of their forces were sent into oblivion by the ASEAN formation.

The explosions could be seen miles away as the ASEAN formation mercilessly closed the distance, letting out several short-range heat seeker missiles, AIM-9 sidewinder screamed at supersonic speed.

<<Major! Enemies are closing in! firing dozens more arrows of light! We'll take control of our attacks!>>

 Scattered by the attack, the Annonrial fighters regroup, but... <<Enemies are too close! We——>>

Two sidewinders, without a warning, tore through Almagest, codenamed Overlord 2, one hitting the wings, and the second penetrated through the hull, directly to the command, letting out its explosive potential directly to the heart of the enemy. The blast fragmentation deleted the crew from the world without even knowing they were already dead. All just went with a flash and soon turned into darkness.

The battle is basically point-blank range, even with sidewinders. The airspace was a hostile rich environment for the ASEAN fighters, who didn't restrain themselves from hunting them without any mercy.

"There's an arrow of light on my tail! I can't—!."

"We're independently engaging the enemies! Zuyan! No! Evade! Nooooo!."

Screams of Annonrials echo on the comms as they are picked one by one, and Beltane realizes they are completely outclassed.

Both the F-16 and F-15 of ASEAN unload their payload like aerial missile trucks as they swarm against the completely hopeless enemies. Their maneuvers are basically retuning back and forth after unleashing their missiles, firing their afterburners and leaving the theater after their attack, then return back after circling their targets, reducing their numbers without being forced into gun battle with the enemies that obviously have numerical superiority.