Chapter 82: Göttliche Vergeltung

Himmelsskänk Pubben

Nestled on the coastal outskirts of town, an aged pub stands as a testament to the passage of time. Run by an elderly couple and their children, it has withstood the trials of invasion and the demise of monarchy, several months ago.

The cool ocean breeze splash gently, creating a picturesque backdrop for savoring a cold beer and indulging in a hearty feast. Inside, weathered wooden beams grace the ceiling, whispering tales of eras long gone. Adorned walls proudly showcase faded Manapicturesque and tattered flags, narrating the pub's rich history.

Patrons gather, sharing pints of root beer, finding joy in the lively ambiance of bustling conversations, hushed whispers, and occasional laughter.

Among the bustling crowd, two individuals find respite at an old wooden table, relishing the taste of root beer. As the consumption of expensive liquors like wine was reserved exclusively for the country's occupiers, an unwritten rule unanimously followed by all.

"Should they be returning today?" asked the Ox beastman, his gaze fixed on the window. Beyond the view of the ocean, seabirds, and people bustling along the shorelines, several cruisers resembling IJN Myōkō class heavy cruisers and escorting destroyers class ships resembling IJN Fubuki class, belonging to the 3rd Cruiser-Destroyer Squadron of GVIN Imperial Eastern Fleet, leaving out to open with thick plumes of dark smoke billowing from their stacks.

"Our information shouldn't be wrong..." replied the other person, a human. "Grade Alastar is heavily damaged, and the fleet it's leading is half destroyed. Twenty of their ships were sunk in the western Mu."

Grade Alastar, the legendary and world-renowned battleship of the Gra Valkas Empire, is the largest and most powerful to date. It is armed with nine 46cm guns, capable of hurling nine high-explosive shells weighing a grand total of 15 tons in a full broadside salvo, with a range of 42 kilometers. It possesses thick armor that could theoretically withstand the impact of its own main guns, a speed of 30 knots, and is considered a fast battleship despite its size. And now, it has been reported as crippled and nearly capsized, even while being towed.

Meanwhile, the condition of Fleet Admiral Ceasar, who used Grade Alastar as his flagship, is still unknown. Many suspect that he is wounded, in grave danger, in a coma, or perhaps already dead. No one knows for certain. The attackers, who also wreaked havoc in their possession at Leifor are still at large. Their regent, Crown Prince Gra Cabal has already declared full mobilization for war, which had only been withdrawn a few months ago. Now, mass production of ships and aircrafts has been prioritized due to their massive losses.

They lost up to 170 ships in a three-week campaign against various Annonrial battlegroups, despite able outnumber the Annonrials at a ratio of 4 to 1. However, Annonrials in every typical engagement, come out on top thanks to their anti-ship missiles, high-altitude reconnaissance planes, supersonic jets, and stealthy submarines.

The Annonrial losses have been attributed to only two to three dozen aircraft and less than a dozen ships damaged or sunk, mostly from hardcore attempt of Ceasar using submarines and aircrafts to inflict damage. That's all Fleet Admiral Ceasar could do before his fleet could no longer endure the punishment and losses before his decision to withdraw. This withdrawal, however, would be the greatest mistake of Ceasar and subsequently resulted with encounter of a larger Annonrial battlegroup a — along the way, resulting in the near destruction of Grade Alastar and the loss of half of his fleet. In contrast, there are almost no confirmed casualties on the Annonrial side.

Thus, hearing the information regarding the powerful battleship Grade Alastar and Fleet Admiral Ceasar, the architect of Gra Valkan naval supremacy against the Muish Royal Navy, being in a tattered state or uncertain is considered quite absurd by the people on the side of the Ox Beastmen.