Chapter 88: Betrayed

Two officers sat on the opposite side of the table, facing Remilleanias, commonly known as Remille by everyone else in ASEAN or Parpaldia. Despite her current disposition in a maximum penitentiary, located in the heart of Southeast Asia thousands of kilometers away from her now fractured homeland, she was presently smiling.

"We have come to discuss a matter of interest with you." one of the officers said.

Remille nodded, gesturing for them to continue. "Go ahead, I'm all ears," she replied calmly.

"We are aware of your past actions during the war, and we understand that you may have certain knowledge and insights that could be of value to us," the other officer explained. "We are here to offer you a chance to cooperate with us and provide any information that could be beneficial to ASEAN."

"Any benefits for me getting involved in these matters?" she teased the two officers.

Observing her demeanor, one of the officers sighed and retrieved his tablet, beginning to read aloud, "Seventy-six counts of murder, one hundred and twenty counts of physical abuse and attempted murder, four hundred cases of illegal abduction and slavery, initiator of the escalation of war in Parpaldia resulting in tens of thousands dead, wounded, and missing, along with hundreds of thousands of displaced civilians.

Furthermore, the one responsible for the bitter end at Parneus, leading to another thousands of casualties among civilians and our soldiers, and instigator of a civil war that sowed discord among colonies, mainland territories, and related parties, even until the conclusion of the war and the fall of Parpaldia. This has led to occasional discrimination, ethnic cleansing, and a rapid surge in crimes against each other, and still counting... Overall, cases that would be deemed and classified as crime against humanity. Do you have any requests or benefits you'd like to inquire about, Miss Remille?" The officer stated, capturing the gravity of her actions and prompting a wry smile from her.

"I suppose not. I'm surprised I haven't been sent to the gallows or subjected to public humiliation despite my crimes in your courts and country, aren't you?" She said playfully.

"Good question," the officer replied.

"Right?," she responded playfully, seemingly unfazed by the possibility of the officer becoming irritated and be shot by her calm demeanor.

"Shall we begin?" The officer had had enough of the banter and started questioning. "Do you have any idea who is leading the Nurzaga Empire now, or its predecessor, the Earldom of Nurzaga?" He spoke directly to her, prompting her to place her hands under her chin in thought.

"The Earldom of Nurzaga, much like ours, was essentially a land of conquered nations, its people mere pawns to exploit, subjugate, or manipulate. However, unlike the Margrave of Hanson, my family, they were rather insignificant, both in influence and power. Oh, and I've heard in the news that they're calling themselves successors of Parpaldia? Those delusional fools clinging to the remnants of that abomination -- fallen nation, bowing to that traitor. It's quite fitting, laughable, I must say," she replied with a disturbing satisfaction evident in her voice.

"Please refrain from sharing your personal feelings. Now, next question: Could the heir of Nurzaga potentially become the successor emperor in the event of a resurgence of the Parpaldian Empire? Or any movements for their restoration" the officer inquired.

"Not impossible, but..." Remille paused, considering the officer's question. "But no one in their right mind would dare to challenge ASEAN for the futile attempt to reunify that shattered nation, right? Duro wouldn't allow it, and what about that island in the southern Philades under your new United Nations settlement program? Who are its leaders again? Edians, Mericans and Chaynis? Also, the line of succession for Nurzaga has extended to about the fortieth heir. Even I, as a woman, am the fourteenth in line to the throne without ever becoming an empress. They can continue living in their delusions, but realistically, there's no way they could succeed. It would only lead to another civil war as other heirs would contests for the succession," she concluded with a dismissive tone.