Chapter 103: Air Campaign

471st Jaeger Wing, Annonrial 46th Imperial Air Corps
December 27, 1641

In the skies over the Oder-Insal Defense Lines, 35 Premier Galleria attack aircraft of the Annonrial anti-ground warfare unit dominated the airspace. Their sheer numbers, ranging from the first to the third iterations, rivaled the production run of most produced combat jets in Earth's history, like the Mig-15, and that's only approximately 2/3s of their total numbers. Currently, there was a non-existent aerial threat, even as Duro received the first batch of their Marins combat biplanes and Supermarin monoplanes. However, these were unable to debut due to being awfully outmatched against subsonic and supersonic jets of Annonrial-backed Nurzagan forces. This made the Doric Commonwealth upper brass refrain from sending any of their assets to their guaranteed costly demise. These aircraft were built and assembled at Sios, which now housed Muish's first overseas military assets production plant. This decision was made due to the extended and stretched resources in the war against Gra Valkas and Annonrial in their mainland. It prompted the establishment of factories in Sios to support their soldiers and allies abroad, producing everything from small caliber rounds to aircraft fuselage and engines.
______________

The Annonrial flight commander peers through the small scanner, but to his confusion, there's simply a blank screen. They can't get the terrain mapping systems to work, which usually sends magic algorithms and blasts them from the aircraft's resonance reactors at their wings. This process hits the ground, contact the bountiful magic particles that make up the terrain of the new world. These particles create a repelling force upon impact, hugging the particles in the ground and bouncing back to the aircrafts, acting closely like sonar rather than radar. This puzzles him as it's the first time he's seen the system malfunction or not work well.

"Kastan, is your mapper working?" He said in a private channel to his trustworthy wingman and friend, as he worked on how to reboot the system if there's any error happening.

"Nothing, are we in a magical storm? Perhaps there's a large amount of mithridates here?" His wingman replied just to add to their confusion.

"There's no known Mithril deposit at Duro. The closest are small deposits at the western continent. Neither has our system malfunctioned for the last couple of sorties," he said, expressing his worries and contemplation on the situation.

"Localized magical storm is likely the remaining reason why there's malfunction. It's not like we need them to fire our weapons to begin with."

"Right," he replied upon hearing the response, before opening the open channel. "All units, this is Squadron Delta Leader. Prepare to drop your ordinance, move to 3-flight formation, spread, and make sure to spray them with proper firepower just like in simulation and briefing," he ordered. Their formation began to spread, soaring high as they fired their first salvo of attacks – large Kaliber cruise missiles. These missiles are variants of Vagal Magia 42 Arrow of Light, a hybrid bomblet carrier and chemical container. It was intended as an anti-fortification weapon unlike it's original version, lacking bomblet carrying capability but still retain chemical warfare device, with its powerful miasmatic content. This content could easily crystallize anything by overloading it with Mana, triggering rapid-induced magic induction that typically processed naturally for a century. With Annonrials' technological advancement, they could make it happen in mere minutes and even use it practically to create magical fuels by domesticating unwanted minorities in their countries and livestock to harvest.

Dozens of them flew at supersonic speed, approaching Mach 1.9 straight to the annoyance called trenches of Duro, making it difficult to kill them. However, with Kaliber deployed, they didn't need to destroy the trenches to kill its defenders.

The first salvos hit the ground, manifesting purple lightning discharges followed by purple flames and a 580-kilogram equivalent of explosives triggered. A massive explosion ensued at the trenches of Duro. Defenders ran to foxholes and underground bunkers connected to the trenches for safety. A strong shockwave and tremor followed with distasteful dust and smoke fogging the scene, but they thought they were relatively safe. Unfortunately, their fate was sealed the moment the Kaliber hit their proximity.