Chapter 81: Armamentarium

Naypyidaw Airbase, Myanmar

At the former Naypyidaw International Airport, now called Naypyidaw Airbase, there was a distinct sound of something chopping through the air, accompanied by gusts of wind. Two peculiar longitudinal tandem rotor helicopters landed at the helicopter pad. They were formerly Singaporean CH-47 Chinooks, now associated with the Southeast Asian Defense Force (SEADF) following the unification of Southeast Asian nations as a single political entity in new world.

Multiple high-ranking Southeast Asian officials immediately disembarked, accompanied by a contingent of armed escorts. The individuals who had gathered on the ground saluted in response.

"Lieutenant General Lanang Thamrin, sir! Welcome to Naypyidaw Airbase!" exclaimed the officers who were there to greet them. "The Lieutenant Colonel is currently overseeing the assembly lines, preparing the products for your arrival," he shouted over the powerful gusts of wind generated by the helicopters.

The person in the middle, adorned with stars on their badge symbolizing their high rank, nodded in acknowledgment. The rotors of the helicopter gradually ceased their rotation, reducing the air pressure around them.

"This way, General!" The officer promptly guided them through the transformed landscape of what was once a commercial airport. Air defense mounts, including twin MANPAD mount acting as SHORADs, autocannons and machine guns, were now scattered throughout the area. The surroundings were fortified with high fences topped with barbed wire, and access to civilians was strictly restricted.

"How far did the Aerotek reach?" said Lanang to the officer, who stopped and faced him. Confidently said. "As far as we are concerned, we have already progressed, by a lot," he said to the group, which let out amused nods.

As they continued on, until finally reaching the hanger. There, another group centered on a colonel stood and greeted the Lanang group. "General Lanang, welcome."

"Colonel Mohandas, it is indeed." They exchange hands as they greet each other, and finally Mohandas opens his mouth out. "The product is completed. Please have a lot, it's been an entire two years, or rather, almost two years earlier than what we expected."

Behind them, three types of longitudinal machinery with fans were on static display, each tagged with names: F100-PW-229 [SEA-XF-16], F100-PW-100 [SEA-XF-15], and Klimov RD-33 [SEA-XF-29].

"We have successfully managed to recreate the majority of the parts, approximately 85%, on our own. The remaining parts are sourced from spare parts as we continue to work on achieving comparable quality in those specific aspects. However, we believe we can overcome these challenges within a year or two," Mohandas said, smiling at General Lanang's group.

The general asked, "Do they work?"

"We have already installed the SEA-XF-16 models in modified hulks of F-16 aircraft from Indonesia's inventory, which were slated to be scrapped. These modified aircrafts have flown for 130 hours straight before visible signs of wear and tear appeared. However, the improved version should last for 200 hours or meet the parameters required for safe operation, any extended period of operation, over that specified flight hours would be deemed as dangerous," Mohandas replied.

"Can we start mass-producing them now?" Lanang asked Mohandas, with his men behind him nodding in agreement.

"Yes, but there are concerns regarding reliability issues, the lack of afterburning capability, limited range, and uneconomical fuel consumption that hinder their mass production, pending your approval," Mohandas responded.

"I will need to assess their feasibility myself. And as for approval?" questioned Lanang, his curiosity piqued as he examined the engine and read its specifications, finding them quite amusing. "So, when mounted in the F-16, the estimated range is about 500 kilometers, with a flight time endurance of 1.5 hours? The speed is limited to 950 kilometers per hour? And as you mentioned, there is no afterburner."