//5//:New Year, New Beginning

SABRINA'S POV
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA
1ST JANUARY, 2018

5 YEARS LATER.......

"Five...four....three...two..one..Happy new year!" We yelled our hearts out with excitement. It was a new year. A brand new year of happiness, sharing it with amazing friends. A year I've been anxiously longing for, for the past five years.

"Let's go and take pictures." Selena Gomez, dragged me to where the rest were as the photographers started clicking their cameras. The place was blasting with music from different corners. After some crazy poses, I excused myself to go get a drink—Madeira Wine.

A lot has transpired during the five years interval. My stay in UCLA was one of the best time of my life. People say it's just a college but I agree to disagree with that. High school was great—but can't be compared to UCLA. I had the time of my life in that place.

The first year, I had joined the basketball team and in less than three weeks, Coach assigned the captain position to me. I was so excited about it but of course I had a lot enemies but that didn't disrupt me from chasing my dreams. I had also met with Simone rocha a couple of times, she guided me more on the path of fashion. There was a lot of things I didn't know but she had enlightened and guided me through. I had started saving up my weekly allowances until I got enough to open a small fashion store, it wasn't big nor was it popular but it was at least selling. At times, I felt like giving up due to the fact that I wasn't getting customers but I had Ya Aliza and Kubra to encourage me through the way. When Mrs Mahir found out about the store, she called me and laughed at my face. She said, I shouldn't bother wasting my time on useless things, I should focus on my course.

Chill, It stung but I didn't budge one bit.

The second year was fun but also tiring. Being a fashion designer, captain of the bruins, and a college student wasn't easy. It needed a lot of multitasking which I wasn't that good at. I had missed a lot of basketball practice, coach almost kicked me out. But I pleaded with her, she reluctantly agreed, not because she felt pity but because she wanted me to keep working hard to pursue my dream. I led the bruins to the state's championship which we won, it was one of best feeling ever. During the after party held by UCLA for the bruins, a girl named Mimi had approached me to congratulate me for my success. She also said she has been stalking me for some months now, how I'd been struggling to align as a student, athlete and fashion designer. She offered to be my assistant at the fashion house which I immediately agreed because she had transferred from Fashion Institute and Technology—F.I.T in New York. They have one the best fashion designers there how could I have possibly rejected the proposal.

In no time, we started working together, she moved in with Kubra and I, that's after Loren moved out. Kubra also opened her Jewelry store, which of course was selling a lot. Furthermore, our businesses started becoming popular in our second year.

UCLA was as incredible as ever. The food fights, the pep rallies, the debates and the competitions hit a whole different level. I never seized to make jokes in the lecture hall, but I was also the best student in my department.

Third year was the year I accomplished my goal,it was the year I went viral. DILA KS went worldwide, it was one of the best fashion brand. It made it to the top twenty best fashion brands in the world. I had unexpectedly become a celebrity. I don't know how it happened but it surely did. People that didn't like me suddenly started to claim being friends with me.

Then back at school, which was the year the three of us were doing out IT programs, which we aced of course. We didn't let our popular lives get in the way of our academic lives. The bruins won the state championship for the second time since I joined the team. Kubra had also fulfilled her dream of opening a famous jewelry store, one of the most expensive jewelry store. The brand was named after the both of us 'Khasrins.' She later joined her father's company after a lot of hard work and determination.

Mimi on the other hand opened a makeup brand which went viral in the interval of 3 months while still working with me at DILA KS. She also opened a salon, it wasn't that popular at first but she eventually made it better and welcomed multi millionaire celebrities to her salon. It was the the best Salon in California. She was an undeniable fantastic makeup artist, no one can deny that.

The last year came rushing down our feet. We made a lot of memories with our college friends. It was the best yet saddest year. It was the year we bid UCLA goodbye. Mehn I loved that place more than anything. It was more like a home to me than a school. I was trophied the greatest player in the history of the women's NCCA tournament, a three time consensus All-American who led the bruins to three national championships. Believe me when I say I was almost in tears. Yes, I dreamed of becoming one of the best designers ever but when I was honoured that trophy on the day of the national championships finals, the look I saw on Coach Camila's face swept me off my feet.

The joy that passed through my system was indescribable. My parents even called to congratulate to me, you heard me right. Even Mrs Mahir. All my friends called and posted on my success. I can still recall how sweaty I was and how wet my hair was from the hot atmosphere. I had never seen Coach Camila as happy as she was on that day. I wouldn't have done it without her, I wouldn't have survived through that basketball field without her support. Not even the basketball field, but the field that revolves around me. Be it family issues, broken friendships, Fashion disasters, academic issues and mental problems, she was there for me.

Coach Camila took the place of Ya Aliza and rooted for me. Words aren't enough to express my gratitude towards her.

I graduated with a first class honors degree. Yes, you heard me right. A freaking first class honors degree! I was the best graduating business student in my year. I decided to retire from basketball which made a lot of people sad but I had my reasons. Reasons that only Coach Camila and Baba Kaka would understand. I opened a hotel in LA and two restaurants in New York and Seattle. I also opened a foundation for helping people in need; It was called Sapphire Iris.

By the time I had bid college goodbye, I focused more on my fashion house. I started attending red carpet shows, award shows and more. I was invited to so many shows to host or as a guest. The best one was when I was invited to host Nickelodeon kid's choice awards, don't get me wrong, I'm a diehard fan of the channel.

To top it up, I'm now a millionaire. I'm a self made millionaire and all I have to say is Alhamdullilah.

I was now friends with tons of celebrities, if I was to mention them then I'd spend hours and hours.

I'm almost through with completing my bucket list just a few stuff left to complete it. I had never imagined to tick even half of it.

I hadn't met or physically spoken to any of my family members since I left Nigeria. Well I was surviving, wasn't I? But we'll be returning back on the 1st of February this year. I talk to the twins and Ya Arif almost every week. Our bond was still intact but you see those three workaholics, they're all too busy to speak to me.

But of course, my parents were proud of me. They had to be. They could finally brag about me to their friends and business associates. The daughter they thought would bring about their doom was the one that took them to the highest level of class. I know they didn't believe in me when I informed them about my fashion brand during my first year nor did they when I started playing for the bruins. It didn't hurt me though, it was expected. At least daddy showed a bit of his support for me but Mrs Mahir said I should stop wasting my time on irrelevant things and should focus on my studies. But look where we are now.

As Coach Camila once said to me; Today they'll call you crazy but I assure you tomorrow they'll call you boss.

I couldn't agree more with her.

I didn't bother myself with Mrs Mahir's behavior towards me, I payed more heed to my heart and where it was leading me to.

Right now, I'm just grateful to Allah Azza'wajal for every single thing that had occurred between these past few years.

"Let's go and grab a drink!" Mimi dragged me outside where the party was taking place as the music blared loudly. It's a new year. We are having a party here at our house. Tonight is going to be awesome. As long as my favorite artists are here, why wouldn't it be?

New Year with New Beginnings.

END OF CHAPTER