Chapter 34 - Wrong Verb

Nang mailabas na ni Pretzhel ang lahat ng laman ng tiyan ay ibinaba niya ang toilet seat cover. Throwing up helped ease the tension in her body. Maging ang sakit ng ulo niya ay nabawasan.

She knew what happened - headache and nausea due to stress and anxiety.

She had the same experienced after she saw Clifford and Brigitte in the garden on her eighteenth birthday. Sa ganitong tagpo siya inabot ni Abby noon. Abby saw her cry uncontrollably as she threw up. And she was glad Abby was there because she didn't know what to do that time. It was Abby's pep talk and assistance that got her through the night without people knowing she died inside.

And she felt like dying again right this very moment. The only consolation is she knew what to do now.

Naupo siya sa toilet seat cover. Kumuha siya ng tissue, tinuyo ang mga labi, maging ang mga luha, saka niya ipin-lush ang toilet.

Pretzhel closed her eyes and focused on slowing down her breathing. She willed herself to stand up after a couple of minutes. Tiningnan niya ang sarili sa salamin. Wala na ang blush-on sa pisngi, ang pumalit doon ay bakas ng mascara. Yumuko siya sa sink at naghilamos ng mukha. The cold water helped her calm down some more. It helped her regain her lost composure. Nang maalis ang bakas ng make-up ay tinuyo niya ang mukha. Muli siyang tumitig sa salamin.

Pretzhel's mind travelled back to a memory not so long ago. Sa duyan sa gilid ng bahay nila habang nakatitig sa kanya si Clifford, hawak nito nang mahigpit ang mga kamay niya:

"Nangangako ako na hinding-hindi kita sasaktan, sweetheart. Wala akong gagawin na pwede mong ikagalit."

She held on to Clifford's words. To his promise. But look at what she got?

She smiled bitterly at her reflection. She is seeing a glimpse of her broken eighteen year old self. Only, she's in a much broken state right now.

Pretzhel may be broken, but she ain't gonna cry again. Not anyone. Tama na ang iyak niya kanina. She better pick up herself and leave.

She knew her worth!

She looked at her ashen cheeks. And Pret made a mental note to stock up some of that Superstay Matte Ink lipstick. She experienced and went through different, extreme emotions in just a matter of a few hours. From nervousness, to intense happiness and pleasure, to stress and anxiety.

All those complex emotions pulled her in different directions and the only thing that remained was her superstay lipstick.

Pretzhel laugh humorlessly.

Who would have thought, right? In the age of fake advertisements and promises, she found a lipstick brand that is better at keeping their words than her boyfriend.

Pretzhel squared her shoulders and made sure her ponytail is still perfect. Tiyak na nasa hallway ang handbag niya, kasama ng ipin-rint niyang prenup. She better get it and put on some blush on. She may be broken but she won't let herself be ugly. She's gonna make herself pretty.

Pero pagbalik sa hallway ay naroon si Leticia, hawak ang mga papel na naiwan niya. Ang handbag niya ay nanatili sa sahig. Mula sa binabasang papel ay tumingin ang babae sa kanya. Leticia's face is blank.

Pretzhel smiled her sweetest smile as she picked up her handbag. "Pipirmahan ko na po sana, naisip ko lang na hindi niyo pa nirerebisa."

Matagal siyang tinitigan nito. "Ikaw ang gusto ng anak ko. At kung ikaw talaga ang mapapangasawa niya, dapat na maging mabait ka sa akin."

Pretzhel failed to contain her sarcastic laugh.

Leticia eyed her with annoyance, clearly displeased by her reaction.