Chapter 41 - Ready

Pretzhel looked at Clifford wide-eyed. Her heart was hammering against her ribcage. What a shrewd way to evade the promise she made to his brother! That may be brilliant, but it's still a form of cheating, nonetheless.

But then again, all is fair in love and war.

She'd face her brother's anger and disappointment later. But right this very moment, Pretzhel will focus on the man kneeling in front of her. The man she's crazy in love with.

"Mula noong teenager ka pa, pinangarap ko na ito, sweetheart. Pinangarap ko nang ikaw ang magkasama ko habang buhay. And you'll never know the amount of hurt and disappointment in my heart when my mother told me that she knew who is the right girl for me. All my life I'd been wanting for that attention and care, for that level of concern for my welfare. She never bothered when I was young, but she suddenly did when I am old and capable. Of course, I still want their guidance. They are my parents, after all. But not in the matters of the heart. I already found the perfect girl for me and I won't- Oh shit!" biglang pumukit si Clifford. Huminga ito nang malalim saka muling tumingin sa kanya at nagsalita.

"I'm sorry. I know I should say or promise things to you about our future and not remind you of the ugly side of my family that will make you think twice about accepting my proposal. But I got so excited and all my emotions were jumbled inside. I'm all over the place when it comes to you, sweetheart." Lumunok si Clifford, halata ang nerbiyos sa mukha.

Pretzhel smiled, understanding in her eyes.

"We both know how I sucked with words. Baka imbes na mapapayag kitang pakasal sa akin ay lalo lang mapasama. Kaya sana okay lang sa iyo na ang sasabihin ko na lang ay mahal na mahal kita at hindi ko alam kung paano harapin ang bukas na wala ka sa piling ko, sweetheart." His eyes are full of love. Honest, pure and true.

And she realized that the same look in his eyes were always present. They never wavered. They never changed. Kahit noong teenager siya ay naroon iyon sa madalang na pagkakataong nahuhuli niya itong nakatitig sa kanya.

While his words may fail him, the emotions in his eyes never will. His actions never will. He cared for her, treated her as the most precious, most important thing in the world.

And from now on, Pretzhel promised to focus on what his eyes we're telling her, on the actions he was doing. Besides, sa kaso ni Clifford, mas angkop talaga ang 'Action speaks louder than words'.

Kasabay nang pagpatak ng mga luha niya ay ang pagkulong ng dalawang kamay niya sa mukha ni Clifford at walang pag-aalinlangang paghalik sa labi niyo. Tumugon si Cliff pero makalipas ang ilang sandali ay bumitaw sa kanya.

"Was that a yes, sweetheart?" he asked with hopeful eyes.

Naninikip ang lalamunan ni Pretzhel sa sobrang dami ng emosyon sa puso niya. Imbes na magsalita ay sunod-sunod na tango na lang ang ginawa niya.

Clifford kissed her before he slipped the ring in her finger. "Perfect fit, sweetheart," Clifford whispered. He then kissed her hand.

Noon lang tiningnan ni Pretzhel ang singsing na isinuot sa kanya ni Clifford. At napasinghap siya nang matitigan iyon. Napaka ganda! May malaking diamante sa gitna at may dalawang mas maliit na diamante sa magkabilang gilid. At maging sa mismong band ng singsing ay may naka-set din na maliliit na gemstones. The sparkle of her engagement ring is captivating!

Mula sa singsing ay tumingin siya kay Clifford, pero inunahan na kaagad siya nitong magsalita. "Please don't ask about the price, sweetheart. I told you, nothing would amount to how much you mean to me."

Pretzhel smiled amidst happy tears. Tumayo siya saka hiningit ding patayo si Clifford. Yuyuko na sana ito para halikan siya pero mabilis niya itong naitulak paupo sa sofa. She astride him before kissing him fully on the lips. Clifford groaned as his hands made their way in her body. Maiksi ang tassel dress na suot niya kaya malayang nahaplos ni Clifford ang hita niya, habang ang isa ay unti-unting tumaas hanggang sa makaabot sa likuran niya.