twelve.

tw: violence, slight sexual situations, heavy parental abuse

"What the fuck is this, Ward?" Rose demanded, slamming her phone down on the table.

Ward didn't know what she was talking about. Not until he took hold of her phone and looked at what was on the screen.

An Instagram post of Rafe and Bexley, matching in formal wear, with him arm slung over her shoulder.

They looked like the perfect couple.

He breathed out, "Oh, boy."

"Did you know about this?"

He sighed, loudly. "He asked me the other day if he could invite her to Midsummers."

"He's done more than invite her," Rose snapped. "Look at them."

She crossed her arm, leaning against Ward's desk.

He tried to comfort his wife, getting up to stand in front of her.

"Looks, honey, I understand your concern. But Rafe really wanted to take her. I thought maybe if we gave him a little leeway-"

"I heard the call too," Rose said. "From the country club. About the golfer who wanted to call the police on your son for what he was doing to that girl. Leeway shouldn't exist for Rafe."

"I understand your concern-"

"You don't," Rose said, standing taller. "You're a man, Ward. You never had to worry about guys like Rafe. Girls do."

"I think she's a bright girl, and she might be a positive role model for him."

Rose frowned. "Is that it? She's a role model? Ward, your son has been arrested multiple times for the things he's gotten into. If he does something to her, that's it. Your lawyer won't be able to get him out."

Ward wiped his hand over his face.

Rose scoffed. "Maybe we should just get this over with and watch him get taken away."

"How could you even say that?"

"There's something wrong Rafe," Rose snapped. "I don't even feel safe alone with him. I don't even like leaving Sarah and Wheezie alone with him. Face it, Ward. You ruined this. He's gonna do something. And when he does, our whole world is gonna fall apart because of it."

"So, are you worried for Bexley or for yourself?"

"Both!" Rose said. "I wish I could keep her here. The girls love her. I was gonna try hiring her to housesit for us when we go to the Bahamas, I didn't want her to go."

Ward sighed.

Rose brought up, "And you know what happened to Amber."

Ward hesitated. "That had nothing to do with Rafe. You know that."

Rose asked, "Do I?"

"Look, it's a one time thing," he said. "After Midsummers, he won't see her, alright?"

She shook her head. "Yeah, good luck trying to control that guy now."

She walked towards the door, ready to leave. She paused, thinking of something. She turned around, hesitating.

"How long have you known who her mother is?"

Ward froze. "I...Not long."

"Did you know when you hired her?"

"No," he told her. "I found out when you did, when we all went golfing."

Rose crossed her arms. "And...you're just letting him get close to her?"