twenty two.

a/n: ugh so sorry for how long this took, next update will be way faster

tw: mentions of guns, violence, abuse

JJ was upset.

Very upset.

Practically fuming as he sat in the passenger seat of the Twinkie.

Pope was driving, everyone else was in the back. Bexley, John B, Sarah, and Kiara. They had just pulled the car over to the side of the road, half a mile from the Cameron's house, far enough away so the car wasn't spotted. They made sure they weren't on a main road either. Hardly anyone ever came through this area.

The reason JJ was so angry was because they were going to send her back there. JJ grit his teeth, his hand tight around the handle of the passenger door. They were going to send Bexley straight back to the place she barely escaped from.

"You can change your mind," John B told her, again. "You don't have to do this. We can get money a different way."

Slowly, she shook her. "Not this much," she said. "You need a lawyer, a good one. And this'll get you the best one." No way would they be able to scrape together as much money as all this gold was worth.

This was the biggest way she'd ever be able to help her brother.

Maybe this would prove her worth to them.

Maybe she could prove herself a resourceful pogue, rather than somebody that's become a hassle.

"You can back out anytime," Kiara told her. "If you decide the gold's too hard to get, that's fine. Run when you get the chance. Bail out any time."

Slowly, Bexley shook her. "I won't bail. I promise."

This was her first 'pogue mission' afterall, wasn't it? She'd heard stories of her brother's group of friends breaking into all kinds of places, running from all kinds of people. This was her opportunity to truly be desired as a group member.

She'd hate to just be 'John B's sister'. Like a sibling forced to tag along that people don't really want there.

Part of her wished Wheezie was here. She was always more confident around Wheezie.

"But you can if you need to," John B reminded her. "We bail out of shit all the time. Believe me, the most important part of being a pogue is knowing when to cut and run."

Cut and run. She'd keep it in mind.

"All the security codes are my birthday," Sarah told her. Bexley already knew that. Because she remembered how much that mentally affected Rafe. "I think every code is. For anything. If you're able to, empty out the safe in my dad's office too."

She felt a knot in her stomach. She didn't want to go into that room at all. The idea of an office made her feel sick and unsafe. But she still said, "I'll...try."