thirty six.

tw: heavy violence, mentions of drug overdose, toxicity

"Rafe, stop!" Topper tried pleading with his friend. When it was clear his yells were being unheard, or ignored, Topper reached forward, grabbing the club. He used all of his strength to pull it out of Rafe's grasp. "That's enough! I think you knocked him out!"

It was true. JJ wasn't moving anymore. Not that he cared. Rafe hocked up the liquid in the back of his throat and spit it at the pogue, harshly kicking him in the ribs.

"Dude-Dude," Topper stammered, coming up his friend, trying to grab into to him. "What are you doing?"

"What am I doing?" Rafe scoffed. He kicked JJ again. "What was he doing? What was he doing with her?"

"Rafe, listen, you're already on thin ice with the police-"

"You think I care?!"

Topper stumbled back at Rafe's threatening voice.

Rafe once more slammed his foot into the pogue, this time kicking him flat on his back. He stared down at him, inhaling deeply.

He hated him.

Rafe hated JJ with every fiber of his being. Because he knew that Bexley didn't. And she wouldn't.

Bexley had a hard time hating anybody, even her deadbeat mom and her deadbeat dad. So how was JJ ever going to stop getting in the way?

He wouldn't, Rafe realized.

He would always be in Rafe's way.

So he took a few deep breaths, his head pounding, those thoughts hitting him over and over. And Rafe came to the conclusion that he wanted the pogue gone.

So he picked up his foot, and stepped down onto the pogue's neck.

"Rafe!" Topper screamed. He was shifting back and forth, not knowing what to do. "Knock it off! Fuck-you'll kill him!"

"Who cares?" Rafe spat, his voice deadly calm. He added more pressure.

Topper cringed as the unconscious JJ started making choking noises, his body reacting to the lack of air.

Fuck. Fuck. Topper couldn't take it anymore. He swallowed his pride and ran up, shoving Rafe away.

"Stop!" he demanded.

"Get off me!" Rafe yelled. "I'm ending this shit right fucking now!"

"Rafe, get it together!" Topper seethed.

"I should've done this a long time ago!" Rafe spat, without remorse.

"Rafe-!"

He shoved Topper away.