eighteen.

tw: extreme mental abuse, extreme physical abuse, gun violence, major parental abuse, mentions of past child abuse, manipulation, attempted suicide ,, kind of a long, heavy chapter

The sprinklers at the Cameron's house were set to go on at five am every morning, while it was still dark and people would be inside.

Bexley heard them, barely, as she slowly came out of her slumber. She groaned lowly. It was so warm under the covers, but the air of the room was so cold. She cracked her eyes open, only to see it was still completely dark out.

Her eyes were so tired still. She didn't know what woke her. Maybe the small drips and drops coming from the sprinklers hitting the downstairs windows. She wasn't sure.

She brought the blanket more around her, soaking in the comfort that came from the warmth, feeling completely safe and secure as she cradled herself in the thick comforter.

Readjusting herself, she turned over, pulling her pillow closer against her face-

She bolted up. A sharp gasp left her mouth, and her eyes flew wide open.

Rafe sat in the corner of the bedroom.

He wasn't on a chair, or anything. He sat on the floor, his back against the wall. His head was leaned up, resting on the wall as well, his eyes fixated on the ceiling.

She took quick, sharp breaths. Her heart pounded in her chest.

He knew she was awake now. But he didn't say anything. His eyes just stared at the ceiling, like he was lost in thought.

Bexley couldn't help but wonder, how long had he been in here?

She felt an overwhelming amount of anxiety seize her.

"What are you doing?" she finally demanded. The panic in her voice was obvious.

Rafe shut his eyes. He tilted his head down, wiping a hand over his face. She watched him rise to his feet. Dragging his palms over eyes, he just repeated the question back to her. "What are you doing, Bexley?"

She scooted up, and her head snapped towards the nightstand. She couldn't barely see, just the light from the moon and stars lit the room at the moment. She reached over, trying to feel for her phone.

"I have it."

Her eyes went wide again, and she looked over. He was holding her phone in his hand.

He held it up, like it was a card. "I, uh...I was just looking at it." He tossed it on her bed. "Noticed you called Top again."

She remained stone cold silent.

"I noticed it was about, what, an hour long call." His eyes narrowed in her. "What kind of stuff do you guys have to talk about for an hour?"