SEVENTEEN.

tw: mentions of physical abuse, mentions of parental abuse, manipulation

"Welcome home, Bexley!" Rose wrapped her arms around the girl. "It's so good to have you back!" Rose hugged her tightly, pulling away with a bright smile, not even glancing at Rafe as he walked by.

Bexley forced a smile, despite her heartbroken attitude. "Hi, Mrs. Cameron. Good to be back."

"I have an idea," Rose said, nodding happily. "For us girls to do, tonight. We'll go to a restaurant. You, me, and Wheezie. My treat. Anywhere you want. Anything you want. My present to you for coming home."

Bexley's heart gleamed with appreciation. And she felt unhappy admitting to Rose, "I'd love to...but I'm really tired. I kind just want to, you know, go to sleep already."

Rose seemed fully understanding. "Okay. Yeah." She smiled, nodding again. "Of course, of course. Get your rest. Tomorrow night."

Bexley forced another smile. "Tomorrow night."

But the words weighed heavy on her heart. Rose was being so kind, and Bexley was lying to her.

Because Bexley wasn't planning on being here tomorrow night.

"Is Wheezie home?" Bexley asked, looking around for her friend.

"She's outside somewhere," Rose said, waving a hand through the air. "I'm sure she'll make her way in."

Bexley hoped it'd be soon. She wanted to talk to her. Hug her.

Say goodbye to her.

"Let me help you with your things," Rose then generously offered.

Bexley was grateful. When all her belongings were back in the downstairs guest room, Bexley sat down on the bed. She didn't realize how tired her feet were until she got off of them. She stared at the duffel bag on her bed, all zipped up and ready to go. She wasn't going to unpack it. She barely had anything here besides what was in that bag. It'd be easy to leave.

"Can we talk for a minute?"

Bexley was caught off guard. She wasn't expecting anyone to come in. She turned, and saw Rafe had opened the door and come in. He didn't seem to care about his father's rules of him not entering her room anymore. He stepped right inside, shutting the door behind him.

It was odd. So odd. Because just a few days ago, she would've welcomed him. She would've asked to rest in his arms. But now...now she was looking for a way to ask him to leave without making him angry. She really, really didn't want to make him angry anymore.

She tried, "I'm really-"

"Just for a minute. Please," he insisted.

She looked away when she told him, "I don't know if that's a good idea."