twenty four.

tw: mentions of abuse

"I outta slap the shit out of you, JJ."

"What's the problem? We're both fine."

The arguing, loud voices are what snapped Bexley awake the next morning. She opened her eyes slowly, and quickly recalled the night from before. She was sleeping on the beach, she reminded herself. That's why her neck ached from the uncomfortable night. Bexley collected herself for a few minutes, letting herself fully wake up, before she picked herself up from the sand. The arguing continued.

"Fine? Barely. What the fuck were you thinking? What if someone caught you?" That was John B's voice.

And then she recognized JJ's. "Caught us? Nobody here even knows we're wanted."

She had to wander out of the secluded sand dune area JJ had found for them, and finally spotted her brother closer to the parking lot. Sarah was there as well, next to John B, but he was the one doing all the yelling.

"Are you kidding me?" he snapped at JJ. "There's posters of us all around town."

"Not all around," JJ tried to say. "Just-"

"All around!" he snapped. "There's one on that fucking corkboard!"

JJ glanced over to the beach corkboard, where people were able to hang up posters. Most of the things hung up were about lost items, or nearby concerts. But there was a clear photo of both John B and JJ.

"Oh," JJ mumbled.

"Hey," Bexley greeted shyly, making her way over. Everyone looked her way. She hugged herself and mumbled out a quiet, "Good morning, guys."

"He make you leave?" John B asked, pointing an accusing finger at JJ. "Be honest."

JJ scoffed.

"No, he didn't," Bexley defended quickly. "I wanted to leave last night. Not him. I just wanted to get out of the room and get a drink. I didn't realize we'd be locked out."

"You took her to get beer?" John B said accusingly to JJ. "You got her drunk on the beach?"

"She wasn't drunk," JJ scoffed.

"How do you know?"

"Well, she sober enough not to fall out of the tree-"

"The tree?"

JJ cursed beneath his breath. "Not that we even climbed that high-"

"Jesus Christ," John B snapped, brushing past JJ and putting his hands on his sister's shoulders. "Bex, you okay?"

"I'm okay," she said, nodding fast. She stood next to JJ. "Don't be mad at him. It was my idea."

"You're idea to get beer?" John B asked, unconvinced.