FIFTY SEVEN.

tw: underage drinking, drug usage, slight sexual content, violence

a/n: I wrote this chapter with a lot of quick scene changes, trying to pick up the mood of being drunk at a party, lmk if the mood changes are too fast or confusing

Sitting on the rocks, out in the ocean, next to a family member and people who she thought might soon consider her a friend, was one of the happiest moments of Bexley's life.

And it was exciting, because Bexley realized almost every other day she had the thought 'this is one of the happiest moments of my life'. And then she realized it's because she was happy now. Completely. Almost all the time.

But she was especially happy now.

And how could she not be? They were talking, and laughing, and having fun in ways she thought people only did in movies. Not even the freezing breeze bothered her. She would've stayed out all night if the others asked her to. But JJ noticed her slight shiver. He commented on it.

"You're cold," JJ said, aloud. Bexley was noticing shaking next to him.

"No," she tried to say. "I'm fine." She was more than fine. She was having so much fun.

But JJ saw her small tremors, and heard the slight chattering of her teeth. He decided to say, "We should head in."

"No," Bexley tried to say. "JJ, I'm fine."

"Actually, I'm cold too," Sarah said.

"Yeah, and I could use a beer," Kiara agreed.

Bexley hoped they were being honest, and that they weren't just offering to leave for her benefit.

"Let me help you down," John B offered her. Bexley smiled kindly, letting out a, "Thank you." John B helped her back into the water so she didn't slip. She was a lot warmer in the water.

"I can grab you a towel," JJ told her, hopping off the rock as well. His jump splashed water against Bexley, making her flinch. "Sorry," he apologized quickly.

She shut her eyes, wiping her face as she treaded water. "Mhm," she said, unconvinced.

A smile appeared on his face, like he was expecting her to be mad, and was so relieved she wasn't. Even better, she was joking with him. "Honest. Didn't mean to splash you-"

He hadn't even finished before Bexley splashed water at him back.

"Sorry," she said, smiling to herself. "Didn't mean to splash you."

"Okay," JJ said, a large grin breaking onto his expression now. He treaded water. "That's how we're doing things?"

There was a new competitiveness in his eyes that made her nervous. "No," she said, immediately. "We're not doing anything. We're even."