THIRTY ONE.

tw: violence

tw: violence

When JJ Maybank was twelve years old, he got in trouble for bringing a pocket knife to school. He got detention. It was his first middle school detention. He didn't realize how different things were compared to before. Because instead of losing his lunch period to detention like he used to in elementary school, JJ was kept a whole hour after school.

An hour where he was supposed to be at home, cleaning house before his father got there. But detention made him late, he didn't clean on time. His father brought over some of his buddies for beer that night. Luke Maybank was embarrassed by the mess. So later that night, after everyone had gone, he took JJ's pocket knife and taught him a lesson with it.

Luke slashed JJ on the arm, so roughly stitches were needed. But he didn't get any. No, JJ just had to put on heavy bandages and wear long sleeves for the next few months to hide them. The cut hurt like hell, and even got infected. Still, he wasn't taken to the doctor. The most his father did was pour whiskey on it and slap on an ice pack after noticing how red and puffy it had gotten. Five years later, there was still a thin scar running down his arm, a nasty white line.

JJ had never told his friends where the scar was from. He briefly recalled making up a lie about snagging a hook while fishing. He figured there wasn't a real point in actually admitting where it was from.

The scar was sensitive. As sensitive as JJ became whenever someone pointed it out. Sweaters and harsh sleeves would irritate it. He always hated how sensitive it was.

Except for now.

He didn't mind the scar at all right now.

Because he was laying in the sand, and Bexley was laying with him. And her face was turned towards him, and her hair brushed his skin. He liked the goosebumps that came from her hair falling over his arm. He liked the scar on his arm that was so sensitive to cold air he was able feel her soft exhales.

JJ knew Bexley hadn't meant to fall asleep out here. He hadn't meant to either. They just did. And they'd stayed out all night, him only awakening a few moments ago.

The sun was barely rising now, and soon light would wake her too. She would no doubt wake up embarrassed and try to hurry inside before anyone would see them out here together.

But for the time being, the sky was still a dark blue. And Bexley still laid beside him. And he allowed himself to bask in the moment.

The air was cool. The sand was soft. Bexley was peaceful. JJ was glad.

*****

"He shouldn't go, Ward," Rose seethed. "He's a liability. You know he's a liability."

Ward buttoned up his shirt in the mirror. "Rafe has to come. People would notice if he didn't."

"It's better people notice him for being gone than notice him for whatever kind of stunt he's gonna pull there," she insisted.

"He's not gonna pull anything," Ward said, full of confidence.