FIFTY ONE.

tw: slight sexual content, slight manipulation

"Rafe, you have to go-"

"Don't bullshit me right now, Bex. What the fuck are you planning on saying tonight?"

Bexley was peering out the front window. Rafe was leaning against his bike, parked along the curb of the house. His bright, very visible bike. Anyone could see him there and tell Susan. God, why couldn't he just leave?

"If Susan catches you out there again, I'm gonna get in so much trouble," she said, with a worried tone. "You have to go."

"You don't want anyone to see me? Come out then." Rafe wasn't playing around. "We'll go to the apartment and talk."

No way should she go there.

"Can't we just talk tomorrow?" she basically begged. "I really don't want to get caught with you here again."

"I'm gonna wait out here until we talk about this," he said, determined to get an answer out of her.

Bexley hung up the phone. She cursed. "Fuck." She let out a deep breath, pulling the door open and going up to him.

"Get your bright ass bike out of here," she instructed him.

"This shit that happened involves me," he told her. "So what you say is going to affect me."

"I know," she said. She looked around again. "Can you just fucking listen to me for once in your life and-"

"You need to listen to me," he shot back. "I don't know why the fuck you think Topper knows better than I do."

Bexley fell silent. "How'd you know Topper was here?"

"Because he told me he came over," Rafe said. "He told me you were taking about what story to tell Susan."

She was surprised. "He did?"

Rafe tapped his own forehead once, acting like it was obvious information. "Why the hell wouldn't he?"

Bexley looked around the neighborhood again. "I don't want the neighbors to see you and tell Susan you were here."

"Then let's go to the apartment," he told her.

She shook her head. "I don't think that's a good idea."

"Come on, your mom's safe is there too."

Still, she was unsure. "I shouldn't. "

"Okay, well, you'll have to go back eventually. You know that, right? The apartment manager's been asking about you." Actually, she hadn't. But Rafe figured she would soon.

Bexley crossed her arms. "What? Why?"

"Because you fucking signed a contract with them and disappeared," he snapped at her. "You forget you have a fucking lease there?"