fifty two.

tw: mentions of past sexual assault, slight manipulation, slight toxicity

"Please don't tell him I told you," Bexley breathed, her voice close to begging.

"Tell...John B?" JJ asked. "Wait-So it's true? You guys have the same dad?" He tried to wrap his head around it all. "Holy shit. Holy shit!" Bexley didn't like the yelling. "Don't tell him you told me? What about telling him?"

The night felt so much colder. She wrapped her arms around herself. "He already knows."

"Ummmm, no the fuck he doesn't." JJ moved forward. "Wait-How long have you known? I thought you barely knew his name when you were working with him."

For some reason, Bexley caught a glimpse of excitement on JJ's face.

"You had to have just found out," JJ said. "I remember you tried to ask him out once, back when you worked together-"

"I never tried to ask him out," Bexley snapped. "I've never asked anyone out, why did everyone always assume I liked them when I just wanted to talk to them." She shook her head, getting rid of the rant building. She admitted to JJ, "Look, my mom only told me about a month before-" Before she died. "My mom barely told me. I told John B, he doesn't like it, please don't tell him that I'm telling people."

"John B doesn't know," JJ repeated. "He can't. It's impossible."

"He knows," she insisted.  "Look, I sent him a DNA test and everything-"

"A DNA test? So-you're sure? Like 100%? You guys 100% have the same dad?"

Bexley just said, "...yeah, I'm sure."

"No fucking way!" Again, she saw excitement she didn't understand. She flinched as he jumped up, and hit one of the beams on the porch roof, like an energetic middle schooler. "And no way John B knows!"

"I already-"

"Bexley, Bexley, Bexley," JJ drawled, moving his hands around like he was physically connecting dots. "If you're telling the truth, that means you are John B's sister."

"Half-sister-"

"Sister," JJ said. "Holy shit!" He started pacing the porch. Bexley placed her back against the door, trying to stay out of his path.

He stopped his walk momentarily to ask, "Is this a joke or something?"

She frowned. Did he think she'd make this up for fun? "I don't care if you believe me-"

"No, no, no," JJ told her. He stepped closer again. "Bexley James, if John B knew..." If he knew, she wouldn't be here. She never wouldn't had to find someone to take her in. She'd be with John B, she wouldn't have been left behind, alone. Then again, John B had to be taken in by the Cameron's. And god knows what would happen if she was any closer to that family. "If he knew he would have told everyone," JJ finished. "You haven't seen him since your mom's funeral, right? If he knew he'd be seeing you everyday."