TWENTY NINE.

tw: violence, slight sexual content

"I'm leaving to meet Rafe in thirty minutes," Bexley told her mother. "You have until then to explain things."

Bexley had wanted to stay in bed with Rafe for as long as possible that morning. They waited until the afternoon before getting up. She didn't want to go out and face her mom, she just wanted to stay hidden away with him.

If she had asked Rafe to stay in her room with her the entire day, he would have said 'yes' in a heartbeat. She knew that for sure. But she also knew she didn't want to be staying somewhere with her mother right outside the door. So she let Rafe take off to go home while his dad was out, to get some clothes and anything else he needed. Then, he'd head to that house he knew would be empty until December, and she'd meet him there. They were stay to go there. Together.

But for now, Bexley sat at the kitchen table, across from her mother, putting an entire table between them as a buffer.

Bexley would have asked Rafe to stay for support, something she was sure he'd also do in a heartbeat, but she couldn't trust him not to start an argument of his own with her mom. It was better to do this alone.

"So you're just gonna...move in with him now?" There was judgement in her mother's voice.

"I'm not moving in with him," Bexley snapped. "I'm just gonna stay over there for a few days, and help him figure out what to do."

"You think he's gonna let you leave now that he's got you so vulnerable-"

"Yeah, he will let me leave. He's not you, mom."

Her mother's face formed a glare. "I've let you do everything you wanted your whole life."

"You didn't let me do anything, you just didn't care enough to stop me from doing anything."

"Well, I tried," Madelyn snapped. "I tried keeping you from getting involved with that fucking family."

"What does his family have to do with anything?" Bexley snapped back. She was so sick of this cryptic language.

Madelyn clenched her jaw. "You think I wanted to do all this alone, Bex? You think I wanted to raise some ungrateful brat all by myself?"

Bexley let out an angered laugh. "Now, I'm ungrateful. Of course. You always do this, don't you? I just sat down and you immediately just wanted to criticize me-"

"He was going to marry me."

Bexley paused in speech.