forty four.

tw: mentions of violence, manipulation, mentions of past sexual assault, mentions of past drug overdose

"I thought you said we didn't have to move into that apartment until next month?" Bexley said to Rafe.

He was out in the front yard, working on his motorcycle. Bexley honestly didn't know he had a mechanic bone in his body, and she wasn't sure if he was actually fixing the bike, or if he was just hoping he was.

He was on his knees, screwing something back into place when he glanced up at her. She came out towards him. "Yeah, we don't."

She stepped closer. "Look, I wasn't snooping or anything, but this was on the counter." She showed him the papers that were left out. "This is from the apartment complex, right?"

He stood up, wiping some sweat off his forehead. He tossed the tool down, wiping his hands on his shorts. "Yeah. They gave me all that when I turned in the contract."

"Did you look at it?"

He scoffed. "Of course I looked at it."

"But did you actually look at it?" She held it up high, in his face. He swatted it away, annoyed. "This is thanking us for paying our first month's rent," she told him. "This month. It's saying this is our first month."

"Yeah," Rafe said, shrugging. "We paid rent. But the lady said sometimes it takes people up to a month to move in."

Bexley stared at him. "But we own it now?"

He gestured around dramatically. "What's the problem, Bex?"

"Are you kidding?" she asked. Was she crazy, or did he always make things way more complicated than they had to be? "We own it now, Rafe. I thought you meant we didn't officially have it until next month."

"No, as soon as we signed it, it was ours."

"Oh my god," she breathed.

"That's how leasing works, Bex."

"How am I supposed to know that? I've never leased anything!" She took a deep breath. "If we have it now, then why are we waiting a month to move in? Isn't that wasting money?"

"I don't know. You're the one who wanted to wait."

"I didn't want to wait, you just told me-" She took another deep breath, wiping her hands over her face. "Okay, okay. Never mind that. Rafe, if we're paying rent now, why don't we move in now?"