FORTY ONE.

tw: heavy drug usage, heavy drinking, emotional abuse, mentions of sexual assault

"You look...very nice," Topper said to Bexley. His words were kind. But his tone was cryptic.

Bexley frowned as she hopped in the car. "What does that mean?"

"You look nice," Topper repeated. "Pretty. Not, you know...slutty." It wasn't a bad thing. Topper had just never been to a party with a girl dressed like she was going to meet his parents.

Bexley gave him a strange look as she buckled her seatbelt. "Rafe told me kook girls don't dress slutty."

Topper snorted as he began driving. "Someone should've given Sarah the memo."

"Don't say that, that's mean," Bexley told him. She looked down at her outfit. "Isn't this what girls wear to parties?"

"I like it," Topper said, nodding. "It's showing that you're taken, and don't have anyone to impress."

Her eyes widened. "What?"

"But you look nice," He repeated.

"Rafe said kook girls wear cardigans."

"Yeah, to family dinner," he laughed.

"So I look like I'm going to a family dinner?"

"No," Topper said. Yes. "I mean, your skirt's hot." He liked the way it looked on her. He glanced over a few more times than he meant to. "Well, it's showing your legs and your legs are hot, and-Actually, don't tell Rafe I said that."

She huffed. "I'm not wearing this if it makes me stick out." She pulled the sweater off, leaving herself in a spaghetti strap tank top and her pink skirt.

Topper glanced over.

"Oh..." Topper hesitated, as soon as he saw what she now looked like. "Maybe-Maybe wear the cardigan."

She felt embarrassed, like maybe she didn't like nice without the sweater on. "You just said-"

"Why aren't you wearing a bra, Bexley?"

She gasped, and crossed her arms over her chest, turning her body away from him. "Topper!"

"It's noticeable."

"It's not noticeable I don't even have anything."

He scoffed. Twice. "You don't think you have anything? Why would I lie?"

"I don't know, boys are weird."

"You're dating Rafe Cameron, obviously you have something."

Bexley pulled the sweater back on. If Topper looked, then maybe the drunk guys at the party would look more. She wished she didn't have to worry about that, but she did. "What does that mean?"