THIRTY FIVE.

tw: mentions of abuse, thoughts of suicide, Bexley making some dumb decisions again because she's not used to a non abusive relationship

It was six am when Ward Cameron woke up, and went downstairs to start a pot of coffee. He poured himself a cup when it was done, and let himself admire the view of the ocean out his living room window.

His attention was drawn to the street as a large plumbing van caught his eye. It drove down the street, suddenly stopping to park in front of his address. Ward frowned, staring at it.

It wasn't until he saw a second van, with a different logo, park across from the first that his brain clicked what was going on.

Ward froze, realizing exactly what was about to happen.

This was something he wouldn't have noticed had he not already been terrified of it happening.

Those vans were surveillance teams. Police surveillance.

He inhaled and exhaled deeply, not fighting this, just accepting in his soul what was about to happen. He knew it to be fully true when he saw the physical police, the swat team, creeping up from behind the house. They were being silent. He wouldn't have heard them, or seen them, had he not already been awake.

He was about to be raided.

He shut his eyes tightly, and allowed himself to be completely submerged in absolute dread.

Finally, an officer banged on the door.

"FBI, we have a warrant! Open up!"

That was it.

It was over.

*****

Topper had called 911 nearly five hours ago, reporting to them that Bexley James had been attacked and left unconscious and bleeding. The ambulance had come quickly, and she got to the hospital so fast that he actually felt hopeful about her recovery. Shoupe had asked him some questions, and then left. That was the last person to actually talk to him, all the other hospital staff too busy to answer any real questions.

Topper didn't dare leave. Not even to go home to get Sarah. Because he was so scared that if he left for even a minute, they'd announce her dead, and he wouldn't be here. The only hope he had that she was doing well was the fact that hadn't announced her death yet. Even though when he first found her, he'd briefly thought she was already gone.

But he wouldn't leave until he knew what was going on. So he sat in that hospital waiting room for nearly four hours. In that time, he saw some developments from the local news channel. Now he knew why Shoupe had left and not come back yet.

Rafe Cameron was officially a wanted person. And Topper didn't realize how happy he'd be to hear that until he did. God, he felt like such a traitor to his friend. Because he smiled at the fact that Rafe Cameron was finally going down.