thirty four.

tw: heavy violence

tw: heavy violence

Bexley heard a car door slam outside. She peeked her head up, peering out the window on the dive shop's front door. Topper's jeep was in the parking lot. She was hit with relief. She readied herself to go out there, but hesitated as she saw him fling the door open and run towards the docks. She sat back down, out of sight.

Sarah was out in the open, she obviously needed more help. Bexley would just wait until Topper and Sarah came back. Then she'd run out of here, Topper would get her, and she'd be home safe in less than an hour.

In time to catch the end of movie night.

In time to have some of JJ's popcorn.

Bexley flinched when she heard screaming. Harsh screaming, and yelling, and hitting.

Loud overall violence.

She tried to peep out the window again, but she saw the silhouette of a person sprinting in her direction. She ducked down again, scared.

Bexley took a few deep, panicked breaths of air. She had to calm down. Topper would take her home. She'd be back with the pogues in a matter of minutes. The only thing she needed to be worried about was how she was going to apologize to JJ for sneaking out, right?

Topper would get her. She'd be fine.

She waited longer, back pressed against the door. Everything became silent.

Shit. What was going on out there?

More loud footsteps were heard running across the parking lot. Keeping herself low to the group, she waited for whoever it was to pass. Then, after a few more minutes she risked a glance outside.

Immediately, she saw the consequences of her cowardice. She realized what happened while she was hiding.

Topper's jeep had left. The parking lot was empty. 

Her breath hitched in her throat.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

He left her here.

She was alone now.

Oh god, how could she have been so stupid? Why hadn't she gone outside?

Her brain started whirling with panic. How did she always manage to do everything wrong?

Taking another deep breath, she knew staying here wasn't an option. She had to do something. Keeping herself low to the ground in case anyone passed the window, she made her way to the front of the store. She hid behind the counter, grabbing the store telephone and bringing it down to where she was.

She paused, trying to think of whether or not she remembered anyone's number. Just Madelyn's old one. Just Susan's old one. Nothing useful right now.

But she knew '911'. Everyone knew '911'.