FORTY THREE.

tw: guns, violence, sexual content

Slow, stifled breaths.

Shaking hands.

Heart slamming against his chest.

Rafe sat in the van, hands trembling as he locked the door behind him.

He stared down at her.

Bexley.

She looked like she was passed out.

God, what did these pogues do to her?

She was drunk, completely. It was obvious it was alcohol that made her so still. She was blacked out.

For a moment, all he could do was stare at her. Wondering what happened for her to get like this.

She didn't even like drinking. She was always so against it. She never would've had this much if she wasn't pressured into it.

Even at her worse, when she drank in front of Rafe, she wasn't this bad.

And she definitely wasn't this alone.

He'd never leave her alone like this.

Did JJ make her drink? Rafe imagined him pressuring her to. Maybe all of her brother's friends pressured her to.

Rafe imagined them forcing shot after shot down his poor Bexley's throat and then throwing her in the van like she was a nuisance. Tossing her away so they could get in another stupid fight like they always fucking did.

He left her here. JJ left Bexley here alone.

How could he do that to her?

"...Look what they did to you," Rafe whispered, voice wavering. He spoke to no one. She couldn't hear. And he knew it. But he talked to her anyway. "Now-Now do you see why I didn't want you around them?" He sniffed. "Look what they did to you. They got you like this, and-and they just left you here."

She remained motionless.

Rafe sniffed louder, rubbing his eyes which already started brimming with tears. "Anyone could've come in here," he hissed under his breath. His voice was shaky already. "They left you out here for-for some sick pogue to find."

The fight was still happening, Rafe could hear the commotion outside.

Nearly everyone had left the parking lot.

One sick person could've seen her in this unlocked van, and done whatever they wanted to her, and no one would've been here to stop them, and it would've been all JJ's fault.

And he was the one Bexley thought would take care of her better than Rafe could?

JJ, the one who abandoned her here, was the one she loved more?