sixty two.

tw: mentions of drug use, mentions of death

"Let's go! Hurry!"

Susan was carefully placed onto the hospital gurney, and rushed through the ER doors.

"Get her in there!" Shoupe yelled.

Twenty minutes ago, Shoupe arrived on scene to a possible shooting. There, he found his dear friend and colleague Susan Peterkins passed out from a gunshot wound to the chest. Ward Cameron was there, vigorously trying to resuscitate her when he got to the scene. The ambulances were too far away, so they transported her in Ward's truck.

"Let's go!" Shoupe continued to shout at the hospital staff. Finally, she was rushed out of sight.

"You got this Susan!" he yelled as she disappeared from where he could see her. "Just hang in there!"

The reception area felt so silent after she left. Shoupe struggled to keep himself together. His breath was ragged, his heart beat erratic. He didn't know what to do. Ward came up to Shoupe, and noticed the man wiping his red eyes.

"Sorry," Shoupe mumbled, embarrassed to be caught crying.

"It's alright," Ward told him, putting his hand in his shoulder, in a supportive way. "I'm feeling the same way."

Ward had been lucky Susan fell out of consciousness barely five minutes before Shoupe showed up to the airport runway. He was able to say he'd been helping her the whole time. The deputy had no idea what really went down.

Shoupe sniffed loudly. He spoke with devastated anger as he said, "We're gonna find that fucking kid." He shook his head. "I can believe it. How could John B just..." Shoupe now had a glare on his face. "Susan let him into her home. She helped him. She cooked for him. She treated him like family and he just-"

Ward saw Shoupe wipe a hand over his face, a sudden realization coming to the deputy.

"Oh, God, Bexley..." Shoupe breathed. "How am I supposed to tell her about this?"

Ward watched his expression turn even more devastated.

"We don't even know what's going to happen," Ward said. "She could pull through."

Even though Ward prayed she wouldn't. If Susan Peterkins didn't die in surgery, Ward was going to have an incredibly difficult problem to solve. He hoped he stalled long enough on the drive to the hospital, internationally taking a longer route, so that she would at least have time to get home before she got out of surgery.

"She just lost her mom..." Shoupe breathed. "How am I supposed to do this? How am I supposed to tell her?"

Ward then got another idea. He stepped forward. "I'll go with you."

*****

Bexley James was given the sex talk at a very young age.

Or-she was given a sex talk. It wasn't the normal kind, it was one that her mother told her in hopes of scaring the absolute shit out of her, which worked.