SIXTY FIVE.

tw: violence, mentions of past sexual content

"This place is clear," Topper said. He shined the light around the tool shed. "We should go check the woods next."

Rafe shined his light on the large displays of tools hanging on the wall. He stared at them.

"You ready to go?" Topper asked him, noticing that Rafe hadn't moved yet. The two of them had been searching every shed in the neighborhood. This was their last stop. They needed to try somewhere else, soon. Topper was that John B was on the loose with Bexley so close by. So much for his 'innocence'.

Rafe stepped closer to the wall. "You think he's with those other pogues?" he asked Topper, without looking at him.

Topper wasn't sure. He just said, "If he got that far." He looked outside. "We should get going."

"...You got something on you?" Rafe's voice was low, and threatening.

The boy stilled. "On me?" Topper asked.

Rafe reached forward, taking a hammer off the wall. He handed it to Topper, who took it slowly, with caution. Rafe then grabbed a hatchet. "We'll be ready when we see them."

"What?" Topper felt nervous. He stared at the hatchet, uncomfortable. "We're supposed to call Shoupe right away if we find them."

"How'd that go last time? You want to just let him get away again?" Rafe asked. He nodded outside. "Come on, let's go."

The hammer felt so heavy in Topper's hand. He'd set it down if he wasn't worried about Rafe's reaction. "We can't hurt him," Topper suddenly said. "Only if it's self defense."

Rafe turned sharply back around. "We can't hurt him?" Topped stepped back because of how quickly Rafe went at him. "We wouldn't even have to be looking for him if you're pussy ass didn't let him go."

Topper flinched. "Come on, that's not fair. I didn't mean to."

Rafe scoffed, and left the shed.

Topper followed him. "Hey! Look, all I'm saying is we don't know he's actually going to hurt anyone again. We shouldn't plan on hurting him."

Stopped and turning again, Rafe asked, "Did you know he came to my house to get Sarah?"

Topper was surprised. "John B? Really?"

"He got Sarah, and then just to be a fucking asshole, he shot a couple rounds at my house. He hit the room Bex was in, he could've killed her." Actually, John B didn't get Sarah, JJ did. And JJ didn't shoot at the house, Rafe did. And Bexley wasn't in any danger from it. But lying helped Rafe's story.

Topper froze. "Man, I-I didn't know-"

"He'd kill Bex if he had the chance," Rafe snapped at him. "And you just want to be nice and hope for the best?"