sixteen.

tw: heavy parental abuse

"It's okay. I'm-I'm not gonna hurt you." John B slowly took his hands off his sister. "I swear."

Bexley briefly wondered if she hit her head. Was this some kind of mirage? Some kind of trick? It was so hot out here, it could even have been hallucinations caused by dehydration.

But no. This couldn't be her imagination. Because she could feel him. His hands that gently touched her shoulder, guiding her to sit up. And she saw him. His eyes, the eyes of their father. And his hair. Oh god, that hair he had, always perfect, even now.

This was him.

This was her brother.

"...John B?" Her voice was barely audible.

"I know what they told you, but it's not true," he said. "Nothing they've said about me is true. Okay?"

His words were practically drowned out, because she was too focused on the sight of him. The sight of John B. Her brother. She reached her hands out, and touched his face. "...John B..." Her fingers grazed his cheek, his hair. He was real. He was here.

Her brother was here and alive, she felt the warmth of his skin.

"John B, the escorts are heading down the road." It was Sarah. Bexley became fixated on her. Sarah Cameron. Alive. Just as beautiful as the last day she's seen her.

Sarah and John B.

Alive!

Oh, they were alive!

"I can't explain now, but you have to trust me," John B said. He snatched back her attention. She blinked, trying to think comprehensively, but it was hard. Because all she could focus on was his mere existence. He reached down, hoisting her to her feet, speaking deserpately and quickly, "You have to come with us."

John B. Bexley reached out to touch him again. John B, her brother. Alive-

He broke her out of her thoughts. He grasped her by the shoulders. "Hey, Bex. You with me?"

A large smile broke onto her face. "John B..."

"Just get in the truck with us," John B begged. "I promise I'll explain."

'....you're okay..." she whispered. Her smile was peaceful. "You're okay and you're here."

"Yes, yes, I'm here. But we have to-" He was cut off as Bexley suddenly attached herself to him, wrapping her arms around him as tightly as she could. There was so much emotion in the hold. She held him like she didn't want anyone in the world to be able to pull him away.

He relaxed. His worries of her hating him floating away.

"You're here," she whispered. Her voice wavered, and had he had time to process things he'd realize she was practically crying. But he didn't have time for this, though he wished he did. They had to leave.