Newt- "The hell is your problem?" pt. 6

A month had already gone by since they banished Freya for good.

After that, everything seem to be back to normal. The people went on as if nothing had happened at all. It was as if nothing changed at all.

Except for one, little detail.

Newt had himself making excuses recently to see Y/N while she teaches the kids how to read and write as her permanent job in the Safe Haven. He thought no one would notice his tactics, but Frypan and Minho sure did, including the rest of their friends as well as Little Marie since he sometimes disrupts their small schooling.

His go-to excuse was either to remind her she forgot to eat breakfast and bring her food or just bring her a cup of coffee or tea. And Y/N too oblivious and passionate in teaching to care about the routine that's been going on right in front of her.

In this present, Frypan spotted him making a cup of hot beverage again. "You do know you ain't gonna win her back by bein' a voluntary assistant, right?" He commented, mixing some cookie dough for the kids to snack on during their break time.

Newt chuckled softly, trying to think of an alibi. "What makes you think this is for Y/N?" Was all he made up in his mind.

Minho's head suddenly peered over since he was helping Frypan in the kitchen while washing the dishes. "Fry didn't even mention a name." Minho chimed with a smirk forming on his lips. Though, it dropped when Harriet placed a used cup in the sink just as Minho finished up. "Yo, what the shuck, Harriet?" He grumbled, only receiving a snicker from her.

Afterwards, they turned their attention back to Newt, who was ready to sneak away from their flustering conversation. Until Thomas stopped by. "Hey, Newt!" He greeted before spotting the cup in his hand, "Man, you can't just get her back by bringing food and drinks during her class." He remarked, making Newt groan.

"That's what I said!" Frypan followed, agreeing with Thomas. No one was backing up Newt at this point. "When did you start doing this, anyway?" He questioned as he hung his apron on his shoulder after he got the tray of cookies bake into the oven.

Newt awkwardly avoided their interrogating gaze, not knowing what to say except the answer to Frypan's question. "About four weeks ago..."

"Four weeks ago?!"

In the meantime, the rest of the kids were playing once Y/N let them have their break time before they could get going again. Brenda decided to hang around with her as they watched the kids play tag from afar.

"You know, Newt's been having this routine with you, right?"

Their silence was interrupted by Brenda bluntly telling the girl about his everyday visits. However, Y/N didn't look so confused as Brenda expected.

To be profound, she seemed calm, as if she'd already know that. Because she does. "I do." Y/N nodded. "He's very sweet of him to do that everyday." Though, the second reaction wasn't what Brenda was looking for from the girl. She sounded oblivious that she sounded like he only sees him as a friend.

Although, deep down, Y/N just didn't want to keep her hopes up too high. She couldn't bring herself to stay hopeful and delusional.

****

At dinner time, their clique, excluding Newt and Y/N, were chattering with their inside voices, laughing occasionally when someone, but mainly Minho, said something funny or stupid. Not only were they talking about nonsense, but Thomas and Minho got the rest of their friends involved in an act of mischief.

They named their idea, 'lifemate rekindling'.

The plan title made Harriet laugh. "Boy, you really are bad at naming things." She mocked before she brought a forkful of fried noodles to her mouth.