Chapter 8

Lucy's POV:

I spend the next few weeks mostly just training to keep my mind of things. The Dragons were glad to have me back, and threw me a ball in honor of my return since they haven't seem be for more than a few days at a time in months. They all great me back excitedly, I am so happy to see them all so happy that I smile for their sake. When I am not spending time with any of them I am training non-stop. I spend enough time with all of them that at times I forgot all that it is that I left behind.

Today I stand stand on one of the floating islands around the palace. The palace's island is in the center of the rest of the islands. Each of the islands belong to one of the dragons, and there are hundreds of them all around. The ones nearest to the castle belong to some of the dragons that I am closest to. One of these islands is the one that I stand upon right now, heading towards the cave that stands to the side of a lava rock hill. The fires around it are lit and must be extremely hot, although I can't feel any of the heat. I remember that first day, the day that I was first welcomed into this world. I say welcomed, but in reality I am the one that open the portal.

*Flashback*

Lucy three years old

I stare at the home that I held so dear, knowing that for once in my life I need to get as far away as possible. I was locked away as soon as my father had received word that my mother would not make it through the night, and the punishment was... unforgivable. I think that is the word the maid used when she came in to let me out. I know that he wants to let go of his anger, and it's okay as long as he doesn't blame himself. I scream into the air as I run into the woods hoping that nobody will hear me. I don't want them to hear me, don't want them to worry. All I want is for this nightmare to end, for things to be back the way that they were before.

While I am screaming I don't notice that a hole has been ripped into the air that is swirling with colors. When I do notice it I do the only thing that a child can do, I go into it and the next thing I know I am standing in a dining room. I look around in wonder, hoping to find some clue as to where I am when I see someone moving from the shadows. "Who are you?" He asks, his red eyes shaped like a kitty's the first thing that I notice.

"Pretty!!" I exclaim running towards him. I grab at his arm and he looks down at me laughing. He goes to grab me, but as soon as his hands touch my shoulders I yelp in pain and back away. A look of shock crosses his face, and he begins to look serious.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

"Nothing. Nothing at all." I answer softly. I have learned from the past not to let anyone know anything, to never let them know what actually happens. Today was the worse, the worse day that there could have been, but that's only because mama died. I know that it will get better, I know that he won't do it ever again, not that badly anyways.

"Why do you smell like blood?" He growls. I back farther away from him, knowing that I shouldn't even be here. "What happened?" He asks. He seems to have noticed that the pink dress I am wearing is torn across the back. He comes closer to me and envelopes me in his arms when he sees my back. "I'm sorry... I should have realized that you would not have been the type to hurt someone, I should have known it was your blood that I was smelling." He murmurs into my ear. He holds me softly and within moments I fall asleep in his arms, feeling the warmth of his arms around me. I feel safe here, this is the first time I have felt safe in so long.

I wake up to find myself inside of some type of cave. There is a light near me, and when I look around I see that I am laying in a bed with a warm blanket covering me. I feel better, and I wonder how I got here until I remember the man that I had been so kind. When I remember him I remember my back tears well up in my eyes as reach back to touch it. "I wouldn't touch that too much if I were you." I hear the mans voice from a corner.

"Thank you." I cry. I know that I shouldn't be cared about now that mama is gone, it was my fault after all.

"Why are you crying?" He asks looking concerned.

"You shouldn't be kind to me... It's my fault... it's all my fault!!" I scream covering my face with my hands.

"Whatever happened, it wasn't your fault." He says coming to sit by me. "Who did that to you?" He asks.

"She died and it's all my fault!! It's my fault that mama's dead!!" I scream not knowing if I am more mad at him or myself. I should have been careful, I'm told that she got weaker when I was less than a year old and I did something.

"It's not you fault." He says. "Now who did this to you? I promise you won't get hurt by them as long as I am here." He adds tenderly.

"Daddy, my papa did it." I answer. Looking up at him, removing my hands from my face, and placind a delicate hand ontop of his own. "Don't feel sad, the wound doesn't even hurt." I smile.

"YOUR OWN FATHER DID THIS TO YOU!!!" He roars. When he does this he sounds so much like a beast that I cower in fear. "I'm sorry." He murmurs gently.

"I'll be fine." I smile standing up. "How do I leave?" I ask.

"Where did you get that?" He asks in surprise, looking at the bracelet on my wrist.

"I'm not sure... Mama says that a dragon gave it to me..." I trail off as I realize I spoke of her in the present tense.'

"I guess today is you lucky day then." He smiles standing up. "I am Igneel the fire dragon, and your mother brought you to us when you were young. Do you want to learn magic?" He asks grinning widely.

*End of flashback*

I walk into the cave that I know Igneel always sleeps in, he always sleeps in. I think that it is a dragon thing, since it's rare to see any of the dragons up before ten. "Igneel..." I whisper when I see him curled up in his dragon form, he doesn't even move. "Igneel." I whisper right in his ear. He moves a bit, but then I see that he is still asleep. "IGNEEL!!!" I yell.

He roars out of his sleep, hmm... I thought that he would have been trying to catch the place on fire. Who's there? He asks into my mind. I am standing in the shadows since I didn't want to be close to him when he woke up. "WHO"S THERE!!!" He yells converting to his human form.

"Relax, you act as though someone came in here to murder you." I laugh looking at his face.

"What do you want?" He growls, clearly he hasn't gotten better about being less grumpy in the morning... actually I think he might have.

"I need to talk to you." I murmur all seriousness.