Chapter 41

Lucy's POV:

I don't know how long it is that I remain there; I don't know what point my sobs turn to mournful roars. The first thing that I do however register outside of my own misery is a voice inside my head. I ignore it for the longest time, wanting to be alone with my grief. I try terribly hard to be away from the worries of the world, but soon other voices join the one, and I can feel someone's arms gently wrapped around my tail. 'Lucy! Lucy! There have been dragon roars everywhere, and I can't tell where they are coming from!!' I finally allow the voices to come through and the first one turns out to be Grandeney. 'It's in terrible pain, and I want to help!!' She adds, when she feels me listening. I listen to the other voices after hers, and they all tell me the same thing. There is a dragon in agony somewhere, but none of them are sure of it's exact location.

I don't respond to any of them, but soon they all leave, having felt me listening. I have tears falling down onto the ground, my roars slowly changing to whimpers. Soon afterwards even the whimper quiet, and I have returned to my human form. I continue to cry, my tears flowing freely, although now I do not make a single sound. I someones rms wrap tightly around me, and it isn't until then I remember having felt someone hugging my tail. I had been so wrapped up in my own grief that I hadn't thought about it. I sink to the ground, allowing them to hold me, unable to bear my own weight.

I don't know how long I sit there, but eventually the tears stop,, with me no longer able to cry. I then take the time to notice who it is that has come and hugged me, having not taken the time to care. I look up just a bit, and fine Loki to be the one sitting next to me. I feel a bit surprised, but realize that he must have felt my emotions, heaven knows I didn't try to hide them, and opened his gate. "Thank you." I murmur, my voice a bit raw. I am glad that he is here, I know that I needed someone here for me. He looks at me in surprise, but then he gives me a kind smile.

"Anything for you." He says grinning, and after another minute, hugging him tightly, I pull away, getting onto my feet, and standing up.

"You can go now. I'll be fine. Although, I want you to know how thankful I am that you came here, I needed it more than you could ever know." I say with a smile, and after he leaves, I begin to walk away. I head all the way back to the guild, and when I walk in, I don't bother trying to talk to anyone, and just head over to a back table. Others in the room glance over at me when I come in, but none come towards me. They must think that I have something important going on, and for once I am thankful for that.

I'm not sure how long I sit there, pretending to be doing work after have had some papers and a pen appear in front of me; I mostly just stare blankly at the smoothie that Mira got me as soon as I came in, just as she always does. I eventually come out of my thoughts, the images flashing through my mind this time free of pain, although I don't know whether or not that's a good thing. Gray has come to sit across from me, and although there is much noise around us, I can feel some eyes on our table. "Where's Natsu?" He asks.

"He left." I say numbly.

"Well I know he left. He wouldn't shut up about how you guys were having lunch together. I was just wondering where he went afterwards." He says.

"He never showed up." I respond shortly. I'm not really in the mood to talk with anyone.

He didn't come? He must have gotten lost, he'll get here eventually, probably equipped with a lengthy apology." Gray says reassuringly. "That idiot would get lost finding his won house if there weren't only one path there." He adds with a laugh. "You'll just have to wiat for him to get here, and he most certainly will." He finishes, and without hearing another word, not wanting to hear any more I walk out of the guild.

Gray's POV:

"You've really done it this time." Gajeel says coming out of the shadows behind me. I have been staring at the space where Lucy was sitting for a few minutes, unable to figure out why she left.

"I just don't know what I did." I respond, growing more confused by the minute.

"Maybe you were boring her to death, all I know is that you must have done something to piss her off. She didn't even talk to anyone when she came in." Gajeel responds, sitting in the seat that was formerly occupied my Lucy.

I just shrug and walk over to the request board. After a while I decide against going on a job, having found nothing interesting, and spend the next few hours hanging around the guild. I und up sitting by Erza hours later, and there is a look of concern on her face, which is unusual for her. "Have you seen Lucy anywhere?" She asks me taking a bite out of the cake in front of her.

"I haven't seen her since she left a few hours ago." I respond calmly.

"Hmm... maybe we should go see her." Erza murmurs lost in thought.

"I would love to, but I need to go find an idiot." I respond standing up, and walking towards the door. I hear the sound of heavy falling rain, and walk out into a rainstorm. I use my magic to make an umbrella, and walk around the side of the guild to find the path I need to take. When I reach the side, I freeze, dropping the umbrella and it shatters. The thing I see makes me stop cold, her skin is tinged blue from the cold, and she is sitting on her knees, stiller than I have ever seen her.

"Lucy!" I exclaim running towards her. She doesn't even look up at me. "Lucy!!" I exclaim again, this time shaking her shoulders. She is freezing to the touch, but she looks up at me, for a moment, and that's all I need to know that she is alive.

Lucy's POV:

I look up at him, wondering what he is doing out her, why did he come out here, isn't it obvious that I wanted to be out her alone? "What are you doing being an idiot and staying out in the cold? You could freeze to death." He says, and although I am trying to block out emotions, I can't help but smile a bit at that. "Now, maybe you and Natsu got into an argument of something, maybe he's being a bigger idiot than usual, but you shouldn't close yourself off, we're your friends, and... we're here for you, so... could you tell me what happened?" He asks. I just shake my head, knowing that I could never bring myself to tell anyone what happened. "Come on, it can't be that bad, and if I'm being honest your being pretty heartless towards us right now." He adds.

"Heartless..." I murmur thoughtfully, wondering if there is any way that I could get rid of it, and no longer feel what it is that I am feeling. And, before he can stop me I gently press the tip of my dagger against where my heart is, the smallest amount of golden blood flowing. I then realize that I will never be able to do it, and drop the blade onto the ground. I then shed a few more tears, knowing what this will mean for me.

"Snap out of this, the past is the past and there's nothing you can do to change it!" He exclaims slapping me hard across the face. 

"Change... You're wrong." I say standing up with a strength I did not know I had. "I will change this, because I know that I cannot live with this, I cannot bear forever without them." I add.

"So, what happened?" He asks sighing with relief.

"Natsu and Igneel... are dead." I finally say. He stares at me in shock.

"Wait... Lucy, you cannot fix something like this, but how could it have happened?" He asks looking shocked. "Come into the guild with me, we'll talk to the master, and figure something out, just don't do anything rash!" He exclaims.

"I am going to fix this, because Gray... you do not understand, I am a dragon. Loosing them, it will be the end. I cannot live with this, because if I have to I will find someone to fix things in a different manner." I say and without another word I disolve into golden light, doing something I have never done before, knowing that I will never be able to live with this, and head to a place no one has gone before, into the past.