Chapter 44

Lucy's POV:

Weeks later I walk towards the guild, after a huge battle that left the guild hall in pieces. I know that a lot has changed, and perhaps things between me and Natsu will never be the same again. There are things that I have kept from both him and Igneel, and I don't think that I could tell them a few of them, but the one that I can't even face is the fact that there was a price to be paid for using the magic to change the past, and that price was Rose. The magic that I used made it so that she never existed, at all, and... I'm never going to allow Natsu to know what happened, I don't think I could bear to see a hurt look on his face, not after what happened. He still hasn't completely forgiven me for making him forget so much, and although things have gotten better, they are nowhere near what they were.

I walk right in, knowing that I was told to come here, because if I hadn't I never would have even showed, not after losing aquarius during the battle and being powerless to stop it, if I hadn't been told to come. Everyone in the guild is in here, and after glancing around I see that my friends are sitting at a table, one of the only ones still intact, and would seem to have saved me a seat. I come to sit next to them, my white cloak brushing gently against one of the chairs as I pass to come and sit, and for the first time in a long time I am wearing my usual outfit. "Lucy!" Erza exclaims. "I didn't see you after the battle, but I wanted to thank you. I know that we couldn't have done it without you." She says with a smile.

"It was nothing." I say with a smile, but it is somewhat forced.

"And, how have you been doing? I know you haven't been around much for the last few weeks, is there anything new going on in your life?" She asks trying to make conversation.

"Nothing much." I say with a smile. "Just the usual things, Metalicanna is up to his usual mischief, and, well... I suppose the key thing is that we have lost Zeref as an ally." I say with a shrug. Everyone looks incredibly surprised, since we have all counted on having him with us, but without him, we don't have the demons anymore. Erza looks like she is about to say something more, but at that moment The Master has come to stand in the middle of what used to be the room, and has a grave expression on his face.

"I am very glad that all of you were able to come and be here today, regardless of what you might have going on." He starts, glancing around the room as he speaks. "I know that many of you believe that we are hear to rebuild the guild, but this is not the case. I would like to formally announce that fairy tail will be disbanding as of today!" He exclaims and you can hear the noises of protest all around the room. I just stand up, knowing that there is nothing that can be said to change his mind, especially not about this. I head towards what used to be the doors, and start walking down the street, towards my apartment that I repurchased throughout everything that has happened.

"Luce!! Wait up!!" I hear a familiar voice call from behind me. I turn to find that Natsu has followed me out, and I stop until he has come to stand beside me.

"What's up?" I ask curiously, continuing to walk.

"I wanted to talk to you, and with the guild disbanding I think that it's time that I said it outright." He says turning towards me, as we come to stand in front of my apartment building.

"Can we come in first?" I ask. He nods, and we quickly walk inside. "So, what were you saying?" I ask as I get some milk and cookies out of the fridge.

"I wanted to say that, well... You hurt me more than I ever thought that anyone could, and at first I was just angry, angry at the thought that you would do something like that to me, but now I think I understand it. I think that what matters most is the fact that I'm not as strong as you, and you will always be far stronger than me. I have accepted this, but... I think that I need to get stronger so that you can't do things like that, because I feel robbed, regardless of why you did it. Since we are disbanding I think that it is best to tell you now, I'm going to be leaving to train with Gildarts, and I'll be back, but I hope this will help a bit with the sadness you are feeling now, knowing that I am not the least bit angry with you. I know why you did what you did." He says with that careless grin that I love.

"You aren't why I'm sad." I say with a smile. He looks incredibly confused by this, and I can't help but smile a bit. "We all loose something at some point, and in this war I lost a friend." I say to help him understand.

"Wh-" He starts before stopping himself. He glances around wondering what he missed before his eyes land on the broken key that sits on one of the tables around the room. "Aquarius." He says. "When you saved us, what did you do?" He asks, and I shake my head, knowing I could never repeat what was done.

"It doesn't matter, I just need some time, now go. I know that you want to train, and... it would seem that Happy is waiting for you outside. You'll see me when you're ready." I say smiling and playfully pushing him towards the door, but before he reaches it he turns around, and kisses me. It' a gentle kiss that makes me wish for more, but he pulls away.

"I will see you." He murmurs, before walking out the door. I few minutes later I head towards the window, and can make out the salmon haired boy and his blue exceed in the distance. I can't help but feel that I won't be seeing them for a very long time, but I understand. It's not fair for me to keep him here when he needs to get stronger, especially if things become as bad as they might. I also need to give myself a chance to grieve, both for an old friend, and for a child that never existed. I'm going to get better, and I know I will see him sometime down the road. I know I'm going to get better, and be happy the way I was before all this happened, for now I just have to have hope.

A/n: I hope you guys all enjoyed the story, and I hope you have all gained heartbreak and love from it. It has been wonderful writing this one, and think you for being there through it all.