Chapter 43

Natsu's POV:

"I don't understand, how did I come to have one of her keys?" I ask, looking down at the one in my hand. I've been carrying it around for months, ever since I found it in my hand, but it doesn't make sense that I would have Lucy's key. "And how did she know that we would be in danger?" I add feeling more and more confused as I think about this whole situation.

"That is something that we might never understand, at least to how she knew we would be in danger. For now I think that we should wait for her to wake up." Igneel responds, nodding towards the spot where I set Lucy down nearly half an hour ago. "I also think that if she does have things that she doesn't want to say to us it is for good reason." He adds thoughtfully.

"I just want to know why, and... where did you get the key?" I ask, wondering if it will clear things up for me a bit.

"Me? Well, she gave it to me." He responds with a smile. "It's one of those things that you must be very careful with, and well, if you'd have noticed it's made entirely up of magic. Normally when a person makes a key like this they will at least have some of it metal, but... she put a lot of power into that key." He says.

Lucy's POV:

I wake up to the sound of people talking amongst themselves, and after a moment I realize who it is. "Natsu?" I ask groggily opening my eyes.

"Lucy!! You're awake!!" He exclaims cheerfully, leaping to his feet. I sit up feeling a bit dizzy, but I know I will live. "I have a few questions that I was hoping that you could make clearer for me." He adds, still smiling as he helps me to my feet.

"I suppose that I could." I murmur, wondering what in the world he could possibly need from me, it doesn't help that I'm not even close to being okay, what I need is lots of sleep.

"I was wondering how it is that I came to have one of your keys, I'm pretty sure that I would have remembered you giving one to me." He says looking confused, and I sigh, knowing that he will want have a real answer.

"I think that it would be best for me to just show you." I say finally, pulling two balls of golden light out of me, feeling a bit a pain as I do it.

"Lucy! You can't be using magic right now, it's not safe. I know that you've used up a large portion of it." Igneel exclaims.

"Don't worry about it, this is only a bit, and I feel that you should know what happened. The only thing is that, well... I can't really explain it, not so that it can be understood best, so it would be better for me to just show you, that way I don't have to worry about getting the words wrong." I say with a smile. "That is if you would like to see." I add.

"You want to show us your memories?" Igneel asks, staring at me in shock. "Are you sure? You and I both know that the mind is the only place that remains completely untouched by magic, and others can't see it... you don't have to, but... I am willing." He says, and Natsu nods agreeing with him. I smile at them both, before plunging it right into their chests, knowing that it is best to feel things as well as see them.

I watch as both Natsu and Igneel shut their eyes, laying down as though they are asleep. This continues for a few minutes, both of them almost asleep, but soon Igneel begins to stir, and a moment later sits up, but I can't help but see the tears that are falling down his checks. I have known him long enough to know that he rarely cries, and to do it because of some memories, it's astonishing to say the least. "Lucy... I never would have known, you suffered so much." He says sympathetically. "And, you changed the past." He says with a smile, that soon fades. "But, to do that, you're more powerful than we ever guessed." He says and I am sure that he would have said more, but at that moment Natsu sits up, and he too had been crying, although his tears are flowing more freely.

"Lucy, what you did..." He says, but then he stops, unable to continue. "It seems impossible." He finally says. "To bring back the dead is something completely unknown." He adds, and I nod.

"I think that I would have to agree with him, Lucy, what you did is completely unheard of, but as I said before you're more powerful than we had thought." Igneel says with a smile.

"I'm just so glad I have the two of you in my life!!" I exclaim shedding a few tears, and pulling them both into a hug. They both return it, and I am grateful.

"Wait... Lucy, you made me forget something, since when have you been able to do that?" Natsu demands.

"Since before we met." I respond truthfully.

"You've been able to make me forget things the entire time we've known each other?? Why?? Why didn't you tell me?? How many times have you made me forget things, how many times have there been things that you forced me to forget??" He exclaims angrily.

"I had to do it Natsu!" I exclaim, tears starting to fall, but this time they aren't out of happiness. "Don't you get it? I've done everything I could to keep you guys safe, and... I just couldn't let you remember." I say, my eyes downcast. And then, before he can say anything else, and before I can shed any more tears I get up. "I'm going to be going for a bit." I say, and start walking down the path without looking behind me.