Chapter 38

Natsu's POV:

The next few days pass rather quickly, with the entire guild talking non-stop about Lucy's baby. I don't understand why it's such a big deal, it's only a child. I can't see why anyone would want to hear so much about it either, they should be getting back to their regular lives. I know that is what I want, which is why, I am over at the board looking for a job.

I have just picked one when I look up to find that Lucy has come in with my father... again. This time when they come in he is holding Rose. I can't help but feel a surge of jealousy come forth within me, for I wish that it were my child, and I know that it cannot be. I know that she must have been with someone else, and I am beginning to suspect that I know exactly who the child's father is.

Lucy's POV:

When we come to the guild I walk straight towards Natsu, having spent the last few days contemplating whether or not I should tell him. I have reached my decision that he should know, that he has to know. I had no right to keep this from him, and it is only right that as my best friend, and the person that I love, he know the truth. "Natsu." I say with a smile when I reach the salmon haired boy standing over by the board. He looks up at me in surprise, and keeps his eyes on me, I can see some sadness in his eyes. "Will you come outside and talk with me?" I ask.

"Sure Luce." He says with his signature grin, before heading outside with me. When we have walked a short distance into the woods, away from any listening ears, and after I have put up a magical barrier around us in case anyone should overhear us I turn towards him. "So... What did you need to talk to me about?" He asks, his arms over his head as he relaxes.

"Actually... It's about Rose." I say twisting my fingers, not knowing how to continue with this. I don't know how to tell him this, I don't even know where to start. I nervously twist the necklace that I have around my neck after a moment, continuing to wonder if this were even a good idea, but knowing that there is no way of turning back now.

"What would you need to tell me about her? And if it's about her father then I already know." He responds with certainty.

"You do? Oh, thank goodness, I really didn't know how to tell you!" I exclaim pulling him into a hug. "So... What do you think of her?" I ask pulling away just enough to look into his eyes.

"I think she's kind of cute..." He responds trailing off.

"And?" I ask wanting more information.

"And I think that her father doesn't enjoy other people holding her." He says.

"Her- Wait d- Don't tell me. There is no way that you could-." I keep starting, unable to finish my sentence. And then, when words will not work out for me I laugh, a laugh that he hasn't heard for a very long while.

"Why are you laughing?!" He demands looking mildly annoyed.

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself." I respond with a reassuring smile. "Now, just tell me so I understand, who do you think is her father?" I ask him.

"My father." He murmurs so low that if I didn't have supernatural hearing I wouldn't have heard at all.

"I cannot believe you thought it was your father! He is my friend, nothing more." I say reassuringly.

"If he's not her father, then who is?" He asks looking extremely confused.

"You are, of course." I answer with a shy smile as he stares at me looking completely shocked. It would seem that this was not the response thIat he was looking for.

*Flashback*    

Lucy 8 Years Old          

Lucy's POV:

I come to visit Natsu today as I have been for the past six months. I only come about once a week, but it has been enough for us to become the best of friends. When I get here Natsu begins asking me how I came to know his father, we have been asking each other things for weeks now. "I met him when I was a little girl." I say with a smile.

"But... You couldn't have been taught by him, you don't have any magic. Why would he have let you into his life and allowed you to stay there if you don't have any?" He asks curiously. He always asks these types of questions, not meaning anything by them, but this time it hurts me terribly when he says this.

"Who said I don't have magic?" I ask trying to control my anger, but some of it leaks out.

"I've never seen you use any, you don't even use it when I'm being trained, and Igneel doesn't even ask you to show him what you've learned like he has me do." He responds. In that moment I stand up, feeling anger coursing through me, and before he can say anything else I turn towards him.

"I have not used it because it is powerful!" I exclaim as one of my hands fills with flames and the other fills with Ice. "Igneel doesn't have me show him what I have learned because he knows that I understand what I have learned. Don't you ever say things like that to me!" I continue angrily, my hands shaking in my anger.

"Or maybe you can't use your magic as well as you think you can." He retorts, and I'm sure that he just wants to prove that he is the better student, and Igneel's favorite, but in that moment it doesn't matter. I am so mad that without realizing what I am doing I fling both hands towards him, and the mixture of fire and Ice makes him unable to eat it. He falls to the ground, and I hurry towards him to find that he has been rendered conscious.

"What happened!!" Igneel demands. I turn to find that he is coming towards Natsu from behind me, and as soon as he realizes he is unconscious he switches to his human form. "You are going to have to be the one to fix this. I know Grandeney taught you healing magic, and... now your going to have to heal him." He says.

"I can do that." I say with determination, wanting to fix what I have done.

"And..." He pauses for a moment, looking sad for a moment. "You're going to have to make him forget." He adds.

"Forget what?" I ask.

"He's going to have to forget everything from the day he first met you. He will have to forget that you ever came into his life, because if at any point her remembers any of this he could become unable to use his magic." He says. I nod understanding what he means, and although I hate to do it, I place my hands over him to heal him, and with tears in my eyes I make my friend, that I care very much for forget that he had ever met me.

*End of Flashback*