✧Nie Huaisang- I'll Protect You✧

A/N- I had to do one for my precious shy boy- I know he's kind of not the greatest character ever, but I haven't finished the show yet and idk what he does that makes him so terrible. To me, he's just a precious shy little bean and I love him so much. He's actually so adorable, I just had to write a one shot for him.

"DON'T WORRY, Y/N! I'll protect you!"

Day after day, fight after fight, Nie Huaisang would always promise you that he would protect you. You knew how meaningless that promise was, and he never could fulfill it due to the fact that his great amount of shyness and fear pushed him away from a battlefield within the first seconds of a big fight. You still loved your Nie Nie though. He was the sweetest young man ever, and you would protect him with your life.

One day, you were going on a night hunt with him, and you came upon a seriously strong ghost. With your powers and some assistance from the Nie clan retainers that had come to protect you, you managed to kill the ghost, but you were seriously hurt in the battle. By the time you had been carried back to the Nie clan residence (I have no clue where the Nie clan lives, sorry lol) you were half dead, just barely holding on to life.

As the doctors took care of you, Huaisang waited outside, concern and guilt flooding through his body. The words he said before every battle rung in his head, taunting him, and putting him through a great deal of pain.

Don't worry Y/N! I'll protect you!

Stupid... Nie Huaisang, you're so stupid!

He hated himself for letting you get hurt without protecting you. Like always, during the battle, he was so afraid that he hid while you and his retainers fought, instead of staying by your side and protecting you. And now you were lying in a doctor's bed fighting for your life. Everyone in his clan was right. He was the most useless cultivator ever.

The doctors stepped out of the room and let him in, saying that you were tired right now and that he couldn't stay with you for too long because you needed to sleep. You needed a lot of rest to cure the major wounds you had.

Nie Huaisang thanked the doctors profusely and rushed into the room, falling on his knees by your bed and sobbing.

"My Nie Nie..." you whispered, reaching out to touch his tear-stained cheek. "What's wrong? Why are you crying."

"I-I'm a-a failure... I-I c-couldn't protect you," he stammered.

"You aren't supposed to protect me," you responded, being as honest as you could possibly be, seeming a little cold due to your fatigue. "You're supposed to hide and keep yourself close, so that when I wake up from my unconsciousness due to my major wounds, you're by my side to take care of me. That's the way our relationship works."

"B-b-but I... I p-p-promised... a-and now you're dying and I don't know what to do!" he wailed.

"I'm not dying, Nie Nie," you cooed. "I'm going to be just fine. And it's alright that you can't protect you. I don't love you for your strength or your confidence-"

"Because I don't have any!" Huaisang cut in.

"You have both, just in different ways," you contradicted him. "I don't love you for either of those traits, but for your kindness and your willingness to help. Your cuteness helps too," you joked, pinching his cheek and making him laugh softly.

"Y/N," he said.

"Yes?" you said.

"Next time, I really will protect you."