✧Ouyang Zizhen- Last Love Letter✧

A/N- A shorter oneshot today for the cute guy Zizhen! I might upload more shorter oneshots but try to upload more frequently. That way you get more writing but shorter chapters. How about that?

TO MY LOVE,

The forces of the undead are retreating slowly as we push them back. The Ouyang clan may be small, but when it comes to hunting, no one can match our ferocity in defending our homeland.

How are you, my love? I heard that you're close to giving birth to our child, and I can't help but be worried for you. You've always been weak... get a lot of rest, okay? I'm almost home to see you again. Just wait a little while longer.

Speaking of that, we haven't thought of a name for the child. How foolish of us. Well, that's a bridge to cross later when they're born. You're a wise woman and a beautiful wife, I'm sure your heart will lead you to a beautiful name for our son or daughter.

I must go now to press the attack. These corpses may be brainless, but they're certainly strong. I'll be home soon, xiǎo bǎobèi. Hold on for me, hm? (Xiǎo bǎobèi- little/small treasure- 小宝贝)

With all my love and affection,
Zizhen.

Ouyang Zizhen closed the letter he had written and was about to leave the tent he was in to find a servant to deliver it to you when a servant rushed in covered in blood with an arrow protruding from his abdomen.

"Stop running, you'll bleed out faster!" Zizhen cried out, rushing to the servant's side to see if there was anything he could do to save the young man's life.

The servant wet his lips and tried to speak, but Zizhen frantically shook his head and begged him not to speak, that would just exhaust him sooner. However, the servant needed to get his message across, the clan leader needed to know-

"There's an ambush."

The servant's last words, gasped out through dry lips and teary eyes, alerted Zizhen to the current goings on in his camp. Upon looking outside, Zizhen realized that there indeed was an ambush. The undead had rushed into the camp from behind, massacring the unsuspecting clan disciples.

"Damn!" he cursed, drawing his sword and rushing outside to try and back up his struggling clan members. "These monsters are strong!"

As hard as he fought, he couldn't push all the undead back. Zizhen had never been braver in his life, but all of that was in vain in the end. As he collapsed to the ground, exhausted and bleeding out from countless wounds, his last thoughts were of his wife back home.

Please... gods... don't let her receive my last love letter.

————————————————————————

The cries of a newborn were heard from a bedchamber in the Ouyang clan leader's home, but the mother of said child was too paralyzed by sadness to even hold it in her arms.

"We welcome the new young master Ouyang to the world!" the mother's maidservant said, wrapping the newborn boy in a blue blanket and placing his small body next to his mother's head.

"It's all nothing," the mother whispered, tears streaming down her cheeks. "What is this life's meaning now? Without him..."

Zizhen's last wish hadn't come true. His wife had read his last love letter, and now she was in too much pain to even look at her child. She had given birth to him easily, a rarity for such a weak woman as her, but now seeing his face reminded her of her husband.

Had the gods seen it as a payment? A life lost for a life gained? Curse those gods!

"Madam Ouyang, your child is crying," the maidservant's tinny voice said.

Madam Ouyang looked at her maidservant dead in her two beady eyes and said, "Get it out."

Those three words were said in the tone of an order, but the maidservant did not want to follow this order. She wasn't separating a newborn from its mom, that was wrong of her and it would hurt the child. So she just stood there in defiance.

"You little slut!" Madam Ouyang raged, throwing her covers off and practically throwing herself at the maidservant. "Get the fuck out of here with that baby!"

The maidservant could see that her mistress was weaker than usual, it was evident in the way she beat her. Like an emotionally confused child, the female cultivator would just beat her until she got exhausted and then fall asleep. So the maidservant waited until Madam Ouyang was exhausted, then picked the smaller, skinnier woman up and put her back in her bed, where she almost instantly fell asleep.

As the maidservant set up a bed for the child near his mother, she contemplated how cruel life was to the kindest of people. Truly, the gods above weren't the nicest of gods.

"So tragic, a lover's last love letter," the maidservant whispered. "Too tragic."