Chapter 1: Incompetence

"His vitals are plummeting. What are you going to do?" I was growing bored with him.

"I-I-I..."

I let out a sigh as I shoved him. "Circular tool." I was impatient. This kid really fucked up this simple operation. How he was even assigned to my ward was a mystery. Having a 3.65 GPA with a 498 on the MCAT and you still have no brain cells to complete the Craniotomy? Pathetic.

"Scalpel." I was just going through the motions. I didn't even have to look at the kid to know he was in awe shaking in the corner. Just shows good grades don't necessarily make for an outstanding surgeon. If you can even consider his grades to be good even. They were the minimum to even get in here.

"Sinus forceps" I inserted them into the incision and opened the area gradually widening it. Then I drained the fluid. I wonder when lunch is. I looked up at the clock. Damn this kid put my time over by two hours! He is definitely off my service. I inserted the endoscope to remove the obvious tumors staring me in my face.

The kid was still watching he piped up "How did you even see the tumors?"

I huffed still removing them they were the size of a pinky nail. "Kid, the fact that you are asking me that question means you are in the wrong surgical field. Maybe try general surgery. Or even better become a Medical Assistant." The little brunette surgical technician let out a giggle and the others looked at him with sad eyes. It was a definite insult.

I started on closing the brain. The kid finally shut his mouth after that. I know he knows I am right. I am never wrong. I finished and started to doff my gear. I was over this whole surgery what should have taken three hours was now at five! Never in my whole career has my time been this atrocious. I rolled my eyes as the kid approached me while I was taking my head mirror off.

"I-I apologize for my failure in the room. I would still like to be on your service. You are the best surgeon in the world. It would be an honor to still work with you..."

Ugh, this kid was pushing his luck and patients "What's your name again?"

"Barnes, Levi Barnes ma'am"

I rolled my eyes "Levi, you have not volunteered for surgical procedures since you got here. I gave you this surgery to see why and now I know. You are not ready. You are off my service. I will be putting in a letter to transfer you to another specialty."

Did he look scared? What the hell was this kid's issue. I had one more question "How old are you anyway?"

He looked at me with a sad smile "I am 28 ma'am"

I let out a sigh "Please don't call me ma'am I am too young for that. What made you even want to become a surgeon in the first place?"

He looked really uncomfortable shifting his weight around "My brother. He's in a line of work that could use a surgeon."

I looked at him funny "Like in a factory or does he have his own practice?"

He let out a little laugh while rubbing the back of his neck "Um, Factory. Lots of lost... fingers and stuff of that nature."

I scrunched my eyebrows together in an ooookkkk? Look "To each their own. I would say it was nice to work with you or something inspirational that others would say but you drug my time out two hours past my record. So, good riddance."

He let out a sigh and laughed "It's ok I get it. Thank you for the opportunity."

I wish I could say that was the last I saw that guy, but it was only the start of what turned into a whole whirlwind of death and destruction.

I finished the day by walking into my office. I needed to type up that letter. The sooner I get that kid well man since he was four years older than me. I know what you are thinking but how is a 24-year-old a world-renowned brain surgeon? Well, I graduated early, duh. I had a 4.0 GPA with a 528 on my MCAT. In my case, my brains equaled my talent. After watching my mom pass away from a brain tumor, I made it my drive to become a surgeon fast. I specialize in tumors. There isn't one I can't get out. I pride myself on my accomplishments and power. The power surge of taking tumors out that other surgeons won't touch or deem impossible is exhilarating. I will never get over the high of being the best. I know I sound cocky, but you would too if you had the power to save anyone.

I finished typing up my letter it turned out to be arrogant on my end. I really need to go in a fix some shit. Just then a knock came on my door. I swear to God if it's an attending asking a dumb-ass question, I will quit this hospital. I have other options with a higher dollar sign waiting for me. I just need that one thing to push me over the edge. I am just actually looking at my own practice. The only issue is when do I have the time to engulf myself into starting a whole ass hospital between my packed schedule of brain surgeries.

I specialize in all surgery, but Neuro is my number one. I can do any surgery I want but I choose Neuro for obvious reasons. I kept typing "Come in!"

The door opened slowly, and two men walked in with black suits on. I sighed "Let me guess? You are delivering a lawsuit. Who is it this time?" it wasn't anything new. Usually, I got sued by employees and or the occasional patient when they find out the surgery was a risk. Those are my favorite because they never win. I never lose.

They just stood there. I was growing impatient. A man parted between the two he had short brown hair with a scruffy beard. He wore a plaid suit and sunglasses. Sunglasses indoors? Ok. Weird. "Hello there Amanda. Mind if I sit down?"

How did he know my first name? "Do I know you?"

He chuckled "No, but I know you doll."

I rolled my eyes. Doll? I am nobody's doll. "Look if you have a lawsuit or complaint you can go to the Chief of surgeries office. He will..."

This asshole cuts me off "I already did. He pointed me in your direction. It seems you are in charge even if you don't have the title. I admire that." He smoothed his jacket as he widened his legs out resting his arms on the armrests. Man, the ego on this guy.

I tried holding a laugh in at his attempt to be the man of the room. I coughed hiding my apparent taunt. He took his glasses off looking into my eyes. Wow, his steel-blue eyes were intense, but I continued "Look, I don't have time for whatever this is. I am in the middle of an important task. So, if you'll excuse me, you know where the door is."

The men behind him had wide eyes shifting uncomfortably. The man in the chair got up smiling staring at me for a minute. I was typing away rolling my eyes not paying attention to him. He unbuttoned his suit jacket walking behind the desk. I didn't show my panic as his jacket moved back showing his gun strapped to his belt. Great, nice going Amanda.

He lowed his face to my ear. I froze for the first time in my life I felt weak but not in an inferior way more so in a submissive way. His breath hit my ear "That's why I am here, doll. You have someone of value to me on your service. It has come to my attention that you want him off?"

I paused piecing together who it was. Why was Levi important to a man like this? I was curious now. I turned my head coming inches from his face "What does Levi's horrible skill have to do with me?"

He smirked "I like you. Someone with fire." I continued to keep my stare down. He sighed and moved back leaning on the wall leaving his jacket sill exposing the Glock 45 on his hip. He crossed his arms looking down at me "You are the best are you not?"

"Yes, but..."

He nodded smiling "Since you are the best, I want Levi to learn from the best. If anyone can whip him into shape, it's you."

I was taken aback by this. "Why is it so important he learns from me. There are hundreds of other surgeons that love teaching incompetent individuals. I am not a charity caseworker."

He moved to me with such intensity. He pulled the gun out faster than I could process. He put it under my chin forcing me to make eye contact. I was trying to hide the panic in my body although I am sure my eyes gave me away because he smiled deviously at me like he was getting off on my fear. I don't have either of my parents and no siblings. I would only be leaving my surgical legacy. He intently stared at me. I could tell he was trying to read me.

He pulled the safety off "He will stay on your service. Or you'll find out who I am."

For some reason that gave me a sick feeling in my stomach. Who was he? I swallowed harshly licking my lips. He stiffened at that movement, and I saw something flash in his eyes. What that was I had no idea. "Fine. I will turn him into the best I can."

He lowered the gun holstering it while he stayedclose to me "Wonderful. Pleasure doing, business with you Doctor." He turned tohis men signaling with his fingers to leave. They didn't even hesitate theyparted letting him slip by shortly following after him like lapdogs. The doorslammed and I let out a huge breath. Who the hell was that man?