Chapter 26

Having a tower from which you can see the entirety of the battlefield is a well known advantage. You can be ahead of the enemy by having the high ground. You can be ahead, if you have the freedom to take action.

On top of the concrete building, Ch'en observes a wide road, possibly a major highway. A squad of Rhodes Island's combat operators are waiting behind her, checking their gear and seeing the not so pleasant view around them.

Currently, she's holding a pair of binoculars while on her knees as she hides behind the parapet.

Her focus is on the wall beyond this road, carefully panning her vision to the right in search of a hole.

The concrete surface of the walls are in tact and this is starting to make her wonder. Reunion had to have at least made some damages on the structures that are at the frontline of blocking their infiltration attempt.

"Double checked our things. Are we going?"

Ch'en turns her head to the back. One of the operators is approaching her, this particular one is wearing full gear, to the point where it almost looks like he's wearing a bulky armor like any modern army's defenders.

"Not yet." She tells him and looks through the binoculars again. "I'm still not seeing any movement."

"Huh, but for you to be deployed in this particular zone, something extra big must be going on here."

Ch'en continues to scan the walls at ground level. She still finds not a single hole.

She puts down the binoculars and stands up, looking at the road a few blocks away.

"Observations on nine, six, and three." She asks the operators behind her.

"Nine o'clock is clear."

"Six o'clock clear."

"Movement at three o'clock."

Turning her head and eyes to look to the right, Ch'en does see individuals moving to the next residential area on the other side of the road.

"How fast are they? I think there should still be a dozen Reunion squads around here." A female operator comments while playing with her sword.

"There should be." Ch'en answered.

"This is really the place where we have to be?" Another operator asks to his concerns. He is scratching the helmet he wears on his head, though it should really be his scalp.

"This is it." Ch'en tells him as she raises the binoculars in front of her eyes, looking at the individuals reported by her subordinate just a while ago.

They wear both traditional and modern clothing, the older adults are the ones in traditional clothing while the younger are in modern clothing. She can see a total of five.

"They're civilians." She announces to her squad.

"Oh, we're good, then— oh wait..." The one scratching his helmet earlier.

Before he can finish, Ch'en already stepped up the parapet and jumped off.

"Captain!!" He shouted.

"They're civilians!" Ch'en shouts back at them from the ground. She goes on her way and sprints to the road.

"I mean, yeah they are civilians and we'll save them but—"

The only female operator in the squad other than Ch'en brushes her hand over his shoulder as she walks past him with their bulky squadmate.

"Save it for later." She advised before jumping together with the other operators.

Ch'en makes sharp turns as she navigates the streets leading to the wide road.