Chapter 28

There wasn't even the slightest smell of gunpowder in the area, but it is clear in the crack left in what was once a smooth concrete surface.

A bullet just smashed into the alley.

Crownslayer slid to the side and got out of Franka's way at the last microsecond. The bullet left an unmistakable mark right in front of the latter as a result of missing Crownslayer.

Franka still had her hand about to pull something out, but instead, she moves her hand to the hilt of her rapier and turns around swinging it as it was unsheathed.

The guerillas chasing her were fast enough and stopped in time to avoid the thermite blade. They got back and surrounded her afterwards.

Taking cautious steps back to Liskarm's side, Franka keeps the rapier raised for anyone who dares to get too close.

"Liskarm." She whispers, loud enough for the stunned vouivre to hear.

Liskarm takes a couple of seconds blinking her eyes and holding on to her head. She eventually raises her head to look at her partner.

"We're breaking out of here. Good timing to whoever it is."

Blinking another three times, Liskarm prepares herself.

Staring daggers at each other, neither side dared to make a careless move.

Crownslayer just disappeared to somewhere else. Leaving only the guerillas here for the two operators to handle.

In her mind, along with looking for an opening, Liskarm is trying to make her own guess. Though it couldn't have been Jessica, the thought of her being somewhere brought along with it the imaginary situation that she's alone somewhere.

Even if Vanilla would never let her comrade go alone to find the two seniors, it only makes Liskarm more worried, wanting to bash the men in front of her with her shield.

Franka on the other hand takes it as careful as possible as well. She's been so careless up to this point, and that is enough for the day. Yes. She'll still be careless some other time. It can't be helped.

As fast as the blinking of their eyes, Franka steals glances at the bullet mark on the floor.

"Liskarm..." She whispers. The men on her side of the alley grips their weapons and raised them higher in preparation. "They can clearly see me talking here so I won't be repeating myself for another time. That sniper is most likely located somewhere in front of me. You run forward, I'll follow you."

"What's Crownslayer doing?" One guerilla asks another.

"She said she'll get their ally first."

"Then?"

"We buy her tim—"

As she swung her rapier on a wide 170° in front of Liskarm, Franka dashes through the guerillas.

The ones on Franka's side had their eyes just as widened as their comrades on Liskarm's.

As she slid through, Franka goes down and sweeps a guerilla fighter off his feet with her leg.

Her partner immediately passes through the opening and both of them ran out of the alley.

The guerillas gave chase.

Franka was leading in front of Liskarm through the maze of streets as she is a little pissed off.

And the latter can feel it.

"Something went out of hand?" The vouivre asked.

"Nothing.." She said in a rather disappointed tone.

Looking back, Liskarm finds some of the guerillas going to the front of the group, their snipers.