Chapter 54

The armored van speeds away from the hill. From the curve, it goes in to the highway as the only vehicle going south.

Sun is already shining over most of the land around, save for the areas behind the biggest trees and factories.

Texas and Exusiai are both strapped in to their seats. The latter holds on to the handles above her door as she grins, watching the lupo driver as she drove on the outermost lane, keeping the need of evasive maneuvers to a minimum.

"You know what will happen if a cop sees us... right?"

Exusiai was smirking as she asked.

Texas pushes the gear stick to a higher gear. "This isn't even a job the two of us should be doing, but we're doing it anyway for their city."

"Oh, so heroic, is that what working closely with the Doctor does to you?"

The lupo slowly shakes her head, "I'm simply doing my job."

The red needle on the speedometer goes up to higher numbers faster than a just a minute ago when they started driving against the traffic — they were already going fast at that point.

Exusiai turns on her radio and calls out, "Captain, Leader? Any of you guys awake already?"

Ch'en answers after a short static noise. "I hear you, something came up?"

"Hm, just needed to say, it's go time. We're heading back now, need everyone inside that district, right? — WOAH!"—

The sankta gets her head hitting the window beside her as Texas made a sudden turn to avoid another car going slow on the outer lane.

"My bad..." Texas casually apologized.

Exusiai groans while touching the side of her head. "Man... I thought you would go smoother about it."

She gets back to the radio. "Captain, you still there?"

"Yeah, we're getting ready now. How long until you get back?"

"Maybe... twenty minutes, should we not come across some cops."

"Twenty, alright, anyway, we have another plan. We'll make it ten."

"Oh?"

Exusiai pauses for a while, trying to think of what the others are planning, though she can only think of so many ideas, with no way to narrow it down. "Gotcha, recon out."

She lies back on her seat, putting one hand behind her head while the other is holding the submachine gun on a relaxed grip.

"Someone out there must have reported us by now, you know?" she hints to her lupo partner as she gazed out of the driver's window, to the southbound lane where the cars aren't even able to catch up with them.

Texas ignores her, and keeps putting gas like she's gradually trying to bring this vehicle to its maximum speed.

At their hideout, Silesia and Cyclone slides one door of the warehouse open, allowing Onyx to drive the van out.

Inside, (Y/N), Franka's team, and Satell have started folding everything from the beds to the tables, loading them into the boxes.

Liskarm places the last folded chair that she can fit into a box, slipping it in beside the other chairs. She grabs the lid of the box, and locks it in place before tapping the top of it.

"Good to go." she advises (Y/N), who nods before lifting it up with help from his knees.

He takes it to a corner close to the doors, where Franka just placed down another box.