Chapter 75

The long metallic barrels at the top of the two towers spun slowly but surely. It could need another minute before the tower could make a 180° turn.

Rigel stands up and grabs Faust at the back of his collar, lifting him up. "Listen here, kid... we're going to try to keep you alive, since you surrendered peacefully."

The pythia snickers at him.

"Yeah, laugh all you want, you can't do anything without this anyway..." Rigel kicks the crossbow on the ground.

The weapon smashes at the top of the parapet before falling down the bridge.

"What are you going to do with another kid that's down there where Rhodes Island is fighting?" Faust asked.

"I don't know." Rigel answered. "Hell, if they're fighting that Rhodes Island, I can't really tell how your friend is doing."

He smirks. "Have you encountered that squad before?"

"Have... plenty of times."

"I would love it if you could fill me in all the past between your parties, you know? What I saw back at the northern district definitely struck me with awe, it's like that squad is specifically made to cause genocide to an armed population."

Rigel pulls Faust as he approaches the rest of his colleagues.

"How's the tower doing?..." he asks Tidelock, but he didn't answer right away.

Blinking twice, Rigel takes his attention to Sierra. "How about down there?"

Sierra shifts in her kneeling position, her head moved like she is to look at the man asking her, but chose not to look. "Still on the retreating side of the fight... but they really can hold their own over there, that one feline's going wild with her chainsaw."

"Really though, that's an odd weapon to have." Rigel comments. "Tidelock."

The aegir still keeps silent. It's hard to know what's happening inside the helmet, and outsiders can only wait.

"Okay, concentrating..." the sarkaz nods his head. "Well then we're going"—

"Hey Rigel, heard anything from Sir Zero?" Tidelock finally spoke.

"Heard what?"

"The status at the plaza..."

Rigel tries to recall, but nothing comes into mind. "Plaza, you mean where they're holding back these kid's people?"

"Yeah..."— Tidelock turns his head to look at the sarkaz. "I hate to overreact, but the tower's looking at us."

Sierra and the others stopped, giving wide-eyed looks at the aegir.

Rigel moves his jaw from side to side with a sigh. "Congratulations, then..."

Cyclone was the first to set his eyes back to the tower, and so he is the first and the only person on this bridge to see the muzzle flash.

Wide-eyed, he yells a pointless warning. "GET DOWN!!"—

Tidelock moves closer to the middle, activating his force field while everyone else ran to the far side.

Whatever the projectile, it instantly shattered the concrete parapets and a massive segment of the overpass with a loud boom.

In a split second, everything that was in that side at the middle of the bridge was hurled away; slabs of concrete, rocks, gravel, steel bars.

The mercenaries managed to drop down the far side of the bridge, but the effects reached far from the point of impact.

The part of the bridge where they threw themselves crumbled, faster than they could outrun it.