Chapter 32

(A/N: You know what? I have more time today, so have (Y/N) here battling himself while his assistants just went through one hell of confusing events)

"Thirteen............. fvck.." (Y/N) sighed as he allowed his head to hang over the headrest of his swivel chair. He just started counting again for the third time how many times the blade of the giant ceiling fan has passed his view.

What a way to do it, but he is doing this so he could concentrate on something while passing the time.

--- 20 minutes ago ---

"I actually... wanted to do something."

(Y/N) tries his best to not stutter and show that he's made up his mind on it, yet Kal'tsit's gaze, while her eyebrows frown at him, threatens to shatter the small amount of self esteem he still had.

"I must remind you, Doctor. If you are planning to do something, let it be something productive."

"It is.." (Y/N) stutters as he tries to determine if it does align with Kal'tsit's requirement. "Swear you wouldn't be just additional baggage."

He swallows his uncertainties. "Kal'tsit. Allow me to join our operators."

The other doctor raises an eyebrow. "It appears you have forgotten our agreement—"

"No." He takes a deep breath before continuing. "Let me into the same battlefield as them."

At their current state, the two of them have been standing way too long without doing anything about the escalating conflict outside.

Except for them, everything and everyone else around is moving, doing their respective duties.

(Y/N) sure feels uneasy about this, and wants to take no more of Kal'tsit's time, though the latter seemed to not mind as she kept her eyes on him, as if demanding for more explanation.

She lowers a clipboard to her side. "You were on the same battlefield as them not long ago."

He wants to grit his teeth, but somehow he feels like she can see through his helmet. "It's not the same as before, what I wanted to happen now—"

"Doctor."

The deep tone of her voice instantly puts a stop to him.

Kal'tsit's expression is back to her usual poker face. "— How do you see the battlefield?"

This time he is the one who frowns at her. "You asked me this question before."

An expressionless stare is all he gets. He comes to ponder over the question, even after having it before.

He eventually arrives to a simple and summarized answer. "Where ideals clashed."

Kal'tsit lifts her face. His eyes blinked, thinking he satisfied her with his answer.

Then she spoke. "Where ideals clashed. Where contrasting cultures become fuel to hatred and the desire to slaughter those who do not align with one's ethics. Where every person thinks what they are doing is wrong, but at the same time copes with it by saying it is for the realization of a righteous cause."

"What are you getting at..?"

The doctor gives him several moments of quietness. (Y/N) starts to notice the staff of the command center being in distress, some are hurriedly rushing to a nearby colleague demanding verification or to somewhere else outside the facility.

"Doctor Kal'tsit!" One calls out while supervising his subordinates seated in front of the bright giant monitors.

(Y/N) is in conflict with himself, he doesn't know Kal'tsit's answer yet, but he doesn't want her to neglect the responsibilities — what was once his responsibilities.