Chapter 69

The four went back down. Walking down the hallways at a more relaxed pace than when they arrived.

At the waiting area, the rest of the squad is already back, resting at the benches and such.

"You guys, what happened?" Franka asks as she approached them, and the others stared.

"We're still in the east." (Y/N) announces with a discouraged tone.

Everything falls silent as no one else spoke.

"I allowed us to be lead here... no, I lead us here. Stupid me."

At first he couldn't look at them, but nothing would come out of it.

He raised his gaze, bit by bit. His operators are all there. His eyes can see all of them at the same time. They were still staring at him, but not one hint of aggressive reaction can be seen in their faces.

They only look tired and sleepy. Some have faint smiles, some don't.

Franka sighs, flailing her arms to the side while shrugging her shoulders. "Then what's for tomorrow? Go back in that tunnel? Or actually..."

She pauses abruptly. "N-no, not actually. What will it be?"

"Tomorrow...?" (Y/N) said. "Can we go on another trip that long?"

Blaze stands up. "I don't know about you all but I prefer, now that Gavial got her supplies, to go find that area where the bombardment's happening."

"It's from the twin towers of the eastern district." Ch'en informs her.

"Oh... then why don't we just help them this time? We also got BlueWing out there somewhere, still. Flamebringer, too."

"What do you think, Leader?" Exusiai asks him with a nudge. "Me, I think I could use some six hours for a little nap then I'll be good to go."

All his operators have wounds, most are small, minor ones. Scratches and bruises, they're all dirtied as well.

"Where do you think BlueWing has gone now?" (Y/N) asked.

No one makes a guess, let alone a confident answer.

"Huh, you know what... I guess we're all very tired to even talk, so.. let's go to sleep now"—

"What about a plan?" Blaze asked. "We don't have one?"

(Y/N) looks away, turning his back on her. "We already checked supplies, nothing changed, aside from additional medical supplies, which is a good change. We'll be ready for anything tomorrow."

His feet goes forward, into the dark hallways that only now registered to him as actually lacking lights. He eyes on the crossing up ahead, where the moonlight from outside shines through the windows.

"I'm just taking a small walk, maybe devise a plan along the way..." he said while waving his hand.

(Y/N) stops in front of a vending machine.

Unlike those back at the subway, this one is totally out of power, its plug uselessly inserted into the outlet.

His eyes went from top to bottom of the machine, before taking out his clenched fist from his pocket.

He hovers his fist above it, staring at the machine for a while, before letting the weight of his hand give it a little pound.

The metal clanged, and he observed the machine.

"Like that would do anything..."

He pulls his arm back and slides his hand back to his jacket's pocket before leaving.