Chapter 73

A blue minivan arrives at the intersection, stopping once it got just out of the golden square markings on the road.

It goes on reverse, closing in with the pavements across the other side of the junction before stopping again.

Out of the driver's seat comes Mostima, slamming the door close as she stepped out, leaving the engine running.

She goes around and up the pavement before looking around for the rest of her squad.

But they're nowhere to be found.

Except for a very faint voice coming from one of the houses on the same street where she pulled over.

She walks away, casually, until her ears picked up on the sound of another vehicle coming from behind her.

At first it was the sound of one truck, but as she waited, one became two, and afterwards, she couldn't tell.

— A while ago —

The rest of the D.S.G. kept silent as (Y/N) lets out his speculations, yet he can see a hint of different emotions, be it terror, doubt, shock, in their eyes, some of them.

"Is it that impossible to them?"

But that was a while ago, and now they are on a completely different topic, well, the infected are still involved.

A massive blank paper has been laid down on the low, wooden table at the living room. It's one of a few things they picked up from the many places they have trespassed.

"We're going to need your drone, Firewatch." Ch'en says as her hand keeps the paper secured and flat on the table.

The elafia stands up and takes three steps, confirming her direction to them which is to the back of the house, before looking back. "Where to?"

"Just fly it as high as possible. Then take pictures of it."

With a nod, Firewatch leaves.

"The most probable places they would have them are any open areas, large enough that the high rises won't be a problem, or the high rises themselves, the highest of them." Ch'en voices while gazing at the white paper.

"How many do you think there are?" asks Franka while seated on a couch. "I'm guessing twenty to forty."

"Where'd they even get all of those?" Blaze frowns. "We should go after their sponsors too, after this."

"Let's concentrate on getting out of here, then we can talk about that." (Y/N) advises, though he could just be as distracted as the feline.

Sponsors are nice, but also annoying when they are supporting your enemy instead of you.

After the short exchange of by far, unanswerable questions, none of them had anything left to say. For a minute, at least.

Jessica comes over from one of the house's bedrooms, her hand on the walls as she limped.

(Y/N)'s widened, and he immediately strode towards her, holding her arms to keep her upright. "Jessica, where not moving out, yet, you should rest."

The girl looked discouraged, with her eyes shyly looking up at him. "Doctor, please, I don't want to burden everyone, I can still fight."

"Yeah miss, you can for sure, it's not your arms after all." Gavial said. "But just have mercy for your leg there."

"Do you need a hug?" (Y/N) blurts out, readying his arms.

Jessica backs off from him. "N-no need.. I-I mean—!!"—

"Doctor, just letting her rest is enough, you don't have to be..." Liskarm finds herself suddenly thinking of a word to describe (Y/N)'s odd behavior.