Chapter 38

The winds howled, the one sound that has been constant ever since most battles have seized in what is now the DMZ of Nansei.

(Y/N) and his group walked past the banners going with the wind flow.

The same things his operators told him about the area prior to this, except for the rampant fighting, are all still here— with the addition of more fortifications.

He walks beside Amiya, behind them are four of his assistants, the BlueWing operators, now aptly named Cyclone Squad, and four other squads.

"I thought we are just doing consultation, Amiya?" he asks.

"We are."

(Y/N) looks back, then to Amiya again. "What's with all the people we brought? We easily needed four choppers there."

"Because you're here, Doctor."

Right, he's here, naturally there will be a bulk of Rhodes Island's forces guarding him, as he isn't like Kal'tsit or Amiya.

"Not much have changed with how you or we will operate here."

The group reaches the mobile command center of the local Nansei soldiers. What used to be a high tech truck, now their equipment was transferred to one of the least damaged establishments.

The surrounding Higashinese guards all have their eyes on (Y/N), but he keeps his head looking straight ahead.

Amiya looks at him just before she enter, "This way, Doctor."

A glimpse of the rubble beyond the militarized border. (Y/N) just stops in his tracks as he sees the devastation of Reunion's attack.

"Could I have prevented this? Back in Lungmen..."

"Doctor." Ch'en called.

He gets a shock and almost jumped. Glancing at Ch'en, he tugs on the visor of his helmet, "Sorry."

(Y/N) got inside while hearing Ch'en talking with the guards standing by the entrance.

Through the hall littered with small debris and broken pieces of tiles, up the stairs, and into what looks like a boardroom.

Only a few are inside this room: Him, Amiya, already seated on the swivel chair at one end of the long table, the field commander, and four guards.

"Please take a seat. You are?" the oni tells (Y/N) as he gestured to the swivel chairs near Amiya's end of the table.

(Y/N) obliges, sitting to Amiya's left. "Doctor (Y/N). Field commander of Rhodes Island." "Former...."

"An honor to meet the top brass of Rhodes Island."

The cautus then started. "Commander, we are here to fulfill obligations we have with the signed contracts. We would like you to give us more detailed information about this arc surrounding the northern district."

"Certainly." the oni answered. He stands and gestures for one of the guards to step forward.

Said guard approaches the two Rhodes Islanders, laying out a printed map on the table.

The map looks relatively new, not a single speck of dust. What stands out more is the very thing they are to discuss — a curve marked in red going from one point at the northern 'wall' of the city, down towards the middle of a major road leading straight to the heart of the city, and back up the northern wall.

There are other symbols and markings scattered across this curve, mostly inside of it.

The commander gives the two time to analyze the map before speaking. "As you might have guessed. The situation is a hundred percent under our control..."—