Chapter 34

Out on the deck again was (Y/N), gazing at the mobile city that has thick smoke climbing up the sky from several points.

His thoughts were all about his concerns, regarding the safety of everyone in that city. He can only talk to himself.

"I wonder which of the three cities I've been in had the most damage from Reunion..?"

"Wait... idiot, of course it's still Chernobog, without a doubt, will always be Chernobog.."

He catches the sight of a group of silhouettes coming towards the landship from the mobile city.

They were clearly helicopters, and from his perspective, they look as if they are flying away from the sun.

"Huh?", (Y/N) looks at his watch, and finds out that it's already past five.

The sky has changed a lot ever since he came to this spot to do observation — or maybe he got so lost in a thousand thoughts.

"How could I have missed it?" He asked himself, while staring at the sky slowly turning red and orange, mixed with black.

"How could I? I'm not even that busy.. even have all this time to question myself."

He looks up as the group of aircraft flew over him and to the landing zones.

Some officers stood close to the landing zones as they guided them, other personnel remaining on standby.

(Y/N) watched the slow process of the aircraft landing, down to the last part where the gears have touched the deck.

A minute passes and the ramp at the back of the aircrafts was lowered, the passengers walking out of it in lines afterwards.

(Y/N) hides his hands behind his back, standing straight as he sees the operators make their way inside the landship.

Why do that?

His eyes followed the ones he knew most among the operators that participated in the battle. No visible changes in his expression as he saw them all able to walk on their two feet whatsoever.

He sees Franka having a smug look on her face while talking with Liskarm. The latter and the rest of Blacksteel squad weren't very happy at all.

Blaze is having a serious discussion with other operators, particularly those who are under her command for this operation.

Lastly, Ch'en. There ahead of Franka and the others, walking alone and at a faster pace than them.

"Looks like the op was...—"

Before finishing his sentence, (Y/N), for one reason or another, looks back at the city.

"— not much of a success."

The aircraft were all intact and didn't receive any significant damage. But well, he's not an expert on these things (A/N: So am I.).

Soon the deck became less crowded. Groups of personnel moved in to do their jobs on the parked crafts.

"Think it's time for me to go back too."

While walking down the stairs of the catwalk, he starts wondering again. Rather trivial matters like, "Do any of them even realize I was here?"

Yes, there's work to be done, he knows it. But maybe this is just really how people who just lost their significance in a day feel. And he doesn't even understand what his emotions were when his mind asked the question.

He arrives in front of his office. Perhaps for the first time, (Y/N) intentionally places himself in the middle as he approaches the sliding doors.

The doors opened, he gets inside, and goes to sit on the chair behind his table.