Chapter 27

"Yo!" Jeongyeon grinned while casually waving at us as if she hadn't popped out of nowhere in the middle of our training.

Excited screams erupted from all directions as everyone dropped their weapons and began jumping like kangaroos at the elite knight's sudden visit.

I smiled and watched Jihyo greet the newcomer. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see if the trainees are still alive" The taller woman answered and handed her a bottle of wine. "I brought a gift for you, so let me stay and observe these youngsters"

And before Jihyo could even reject her, Jeongyeon patted her shoulder and made her way in front of me and Tzuyu. "Looks like you two are doing fine, ey?"

"No, no we are not" Tzuyu said while pointing at her bruised legs. Jeongyeon winced at the sight and hurriedly casted a healing spell on her favorite brat's injuries.

"Geez, was she really that rough with all of you?"

"Yes, but she treats us nicely after training" I stated, afraid that Jeongyeon might strangle her for going too far on a bunch of rookies.

"That still doesn't give her the right to make all of you suffer like this" She sighed, throwing Jihyo a quick glare.

"It's fine, really. We're benefitting quite a lot from her training, it's terrifying and difficult but I guess it's worth it"

"If you say so" The corners of her lips lifted while she ruffled my hair. "As long as she doesn't make you climb a mountain then I'll let it slide"

The whole place fell silent as an awkward atmosphere loomed over us. We all glanced at each other, deciding between telling her the truth or covering it up to avoid unnecessary problems.

But it seems like she noticed the look on our faces when her eyes widened in concern. "Wait, did she actually─"

"What about Nayeon? I'm surprised she isn't with you" Jihyo quickly changed the subject while looking around for the bunny-like woman.

Jeongyeon immediately shifted her gaze elsewhere, awkwardly clearing her throat while checking her nails. Jihyo caught sight of her nervous movements and eyed her up and down suspiciously.

"What did you do?"

"No- Nothing in particular..." Jeongyeon turned away and tried to start up a conversation with me but Jihyo wasn't letting her get away.

"What in the world did you do? Answer me" In a threatening tone, the queen said and leaned closer.

The captain instinctively backed away, slightly shaking under her gaze. "Well..." She muttered while signalling me to save her.

And although I would have loved to, there's no good enough reason for me to risk my life just to help her out. Jihyo was terrifyingly intimidating at the moment, there's no way I'd let myself get scolded for interfering.

Sorry, but you're on your own...

I shook my head, gesturing her to accept her fate and be honest. Lying would simply make things worst, might as well just straight up say it instead of tricking her.

Jeongyeon's shoulders slumped as she sighed in defeat. "She's at home..."

"Where exactly?"